Deadline: 26 June 2017
Open to: applicants must be between 18 to 35 years of age
Venue: 8 – 10 September 2017 in Ordos, Inner Mongolia, China
Young people are an important force toward the development of a sustainable world.
The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) Secretariat recognizes the important roles youth play in combating land degradation and promoting sustainable land management (SLM). Empowering young people to protect and restore degraded ecosystems will lead to green innovations that will contribute to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), in particular, reaching SDG15.3 land degradation neutrality.
The UNCCD Secretariat invites all young people and youth organization representatives to apply to speak and participate in the international UNCCD Youth Forum at its 13th Conference of the Parties (COP 13). The theme this year is “Land, youth, and sustainability.”
Objectives of the Forum:
1. Voicing the youth commitment in achieving Land Degradation Neutrality;
2. Building the capacity and opportunities for youth in the work on combating desertification, land degradation, and drought;
3. Sharing youth/youth organizations experience in combating desertification.
- Be between 18 to 35 years of age;
- Be volunteers/members for a civil society organization or network, academic institution, trade or technical institution or UN youth-related education program;
- Be authorized officially by their organization or network to speak on behalf of the organization or institution (providing a signed letter from the head of the organization or a supervisor);
- Have demonstrated the ability to engage constructively with a variety of stakeholders;
- Be available to be in Ordos, China from 7-10 September 2017;
- Have a visa for travel to China, or be able to obtain one within 2 weeks. (Please check with the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in your country. Selected speakers will receive an invitation letter to support a visa application, but will be responsible for obtaining the visa and for any costs associated with obtaining the visa.);
- Agree to produce a daily article/blog for the forum when selected;
- Be able to communicate in English.
Selected speakers and representatives will receive full funding of international travel, accommodation and daily allowance during the forum.
How to apply?
The youth representatives and speakers will be selected based on their submission of the following:
1. Personal details (please use the form provided);
2. Nomination letter from a CSO accredited or provisionally accredited to the Convention;
(bearing official letterhead and seal);
3. Answers to the questions included in the form;
4. Curriculum vitae (max 2 pages);
5. 2 samples of work undertaken by the incumbent related to land issues (e.g. blog, video,
In order to apply please fill the application.
More information on the official call.