Deadline: 14 July 2023
Open to: international students and Italians
Employer: LIUC – UniversitàCattaneo
Title/position title= 3 years scholarship for PhD Program in Management, Finance And Accounting – 39th cycle 2023-2024
LIUC – UniversitàCattaneois inviting Italian and non-Italian students to apply for three-year PhD Scholarships. These scholarships are available in Management, Finance, and Accounting for the 2023-2024 academic year. Established in 1991, LIUC University is an Italian university that provides world-class higher education and research experience. It has two faculties of engineering, and business& economics.
The aim of the scholarship is to prepare students primarily for research-oriented careers in academia, but also for multinational companies, public and private organizations, and financial institutions so that they can interpret business phenomena in an integrated way.
The receiving of the title “Doctor of Research in Management, Finance, and Accounting” certifies the clearly established ability to:
- study business phenomena and market dynamics with cutting-edge and versatile methodological tools in order to better understand their complexity;
- make use of robust analytical tools, either alternatively or jointly with the economic-financial, managerial, and engineering management areas in order to obtain research results that are academically rigorous and professionally relevant;
- identify innovative research topics and develop original results that are of interest to the scientific and professional communities.
Scholarships are offered for pursuing PhD Program at LIUC.
The Program refers to the following fields: Finance, Management Science, Accounting, Economics, Public Administration, Industrial Engineering and Environment.
Applications are received from candidates who hold a Master Degree or equivalent, or who expect to achieve such qualification by 31 October 2023in the following areas: Economics, Business Administration, Finance, Engineering Management , Public Administrations, Public Communication and Advertising, Economics for the Environment and Culture. Applications from candidates holding a master’s degree (or equivalent) in subject areas other than those listed above, but whose qualifications and experience demonstrate knowledge of the subjects of the Program, shall be considered and assessed by the Admission Committee.
Applicants are selected on the basis of their documented qualifications and in accordance with the following three criteria:
- a) having the necessary knowledge and expertise on the Program’s topics
- b) aptitude for scientific research and coherence between scientific background and PhD
Program main subjects, the originality and rigor of the research project presented
- c) competence in discussing and interpreting phenomena in the economic, managerial,
financial or engineering fields, also expressed in quantitative form, as well as the linguistic competence necessary to participate profitably in the activities of the doctoral Program.
Criterion a) is assessed by considering the university career of the applicant, as well as any other qualifications or aspects of their personal CV useful to demonstrate their skills and knowledge. Criterion b) is assessed on the basis of publications, participation in projects / research groups, the results of internationally recognized tests (such as the GRE or the GMAT), if taken, and the preparation of a Statement of Purpose that presents the candidate’s research interests (in this regard, consult the website http://www.liuc.it/phd for specific drafting rules) and to the paper illustrative of the development of a doctoral research topic on a topic of the candidate’s choice or one of the topics in (b.) Art.3.
Criterion c) is assessed on the basis of an oral test, that may be conducted in English, on a date communicated to the applicants at least 5 days in advance.
The oral test may be held at the University or remotely via video conference call (Ms Teams). Applicants taking the oral test by conference call must provide a telephone contact number and ensure their availability to be contacted at the contact number indicated in the application for 3 hours starting from the time stated in the schedule of remote testing. Applicants who are not available on two occasions will be considered absent and therefore excluded from the selection.
LIUC university declines any responsibility if an interview cannot take place due to technical reasons.
If the Committee cannot fully deem linguistic competency on the basis of the information available in the application form, competency will be determined during the oral test.
The overall score of the applicant is determined as follows:
– criterion a): up to a maximum of 10 points;
– criterion b): up to a maximum of 20 points;
– criterion c): up to a maximum of 15 points.
Applicants are deemed eligible for admission to the Program if they achieve an overall score of at least 30/45 points and provided that the score for each criterion is at least 2/3 of the total marks, i.e. 7 for criterion a), 14 for criterion b), 10 for criterion c).
The Program admits 8 PhD candidates; places are defined as follows:
- a) 4 places with exemption from admission and tuition fees and with the provision of scholarships;
- b) 2 places under the provisions of Ministerial Decree No. 118 of March 2, 2023 from the PNRR allocation, Mission 4, Component 1 “Strengthening the supply of education services: from kindergartens to universities” – Investment 3.4 “Advanced university teaching and skills” and Investment 4.1 “Extension of the number of PhDs and innovative PhDs for public administration and cultural heritage” with scholarship tied to research topics related to the following PNRR Missions:
– Digitalization, Innovation, Competitiveness, Culture and Tourism (Mission 1) – Green revolution and ecological transition (Mission 2)
– Infrastructure for sustainable mobility (Mission 3)
– Health (Mission 6)
- c) 1 place with only exemption from access and attendance fees;
- d) 1 place reserved for company employees within the specific (executive) agreement or to employees of the Public Administration, with exemption only from admission and tuition fees.
The scholarship currently amounts to €20.400,00, before social security and health insurance contributions to be paid by the recipient. Moreover, the recipient will be provided with a notebook for personal use.
How to Apply?
To apply for admission, the applicant should:
- connect to the site https://sol.liuc.it;
- register by entering the required general/personal information and contact details, pledging to communicate any change;
- complete the online application form by entering the required information;
- attach by uploading onto the site the following documents in PDF format:
- scan of the application request, which can be downloaded from the website, duly filled in and with handwritten signature
- signed copy (both sides) of a valid personal identity document
- copy (both sides) of personal tax code (if available)
- Diploma Supplement or Degree Certificate (or self-certification if the qualification has been obtained in Italy) stating the name of the University where obtained, official study duration, exams passed, ECTS and related study areas, final mark and related grading scales. If the degree is yet to be obtained, average mark of the exams already taken and related grading scales.
- curriculum vitae, in Italian or English
- two reference letters, in Italian or English, with handwritten signature, completed according to the format published on the website
- official proof of international test score GMAT, GRE, or other equivalent test offered by internationally recognized and accredited agencies (if taken)
- internationally recognized English language certifications, with proof of score (if applicable)
- list of publications of academic/scientific relevance, if applicable, and/or any other qualifications or information useful to assess the applicant’s aptitude for research
- a short statement of purpose (SOP) written according to the format shown and available on the website (800 words maximum, including spaces but not including bibliography and figures) concerning an individual presentation of the candidate and the candidate’s motivation for pursuing the PhD
- an illustrative paper on the development of doctoral research on a research topic of the candidate’s choice or on one of the research topics indicated in b.) art. 3. to be prepared in accordance with the instructions published at https://www.liuc.it/corsi-di-studio/phd- program.
All documents may be presented in Italian or English.
If drafted in another language, they must be translated into Italian or English.
In addition, applicants in possession of an academic qualification obtained at a foreign university should also attach the following documentation:
– for applicants having obtained their diploma in another EU country: Diploma Supplement
– for applicants having obtained their diploma from a NON-EU country:
Legalized copy of original Degree or Master Degree diploma with translation if not in English and/or
Declaration of Value issued by the Italian Embassy or Consulate or Italian Cultural Institute responsible for the geographical area of the city where university degree was obtained
Declaration of Equivalence issued by an Italian University.
If, at the time of submission, applicants do not yet have the relative Declaration of Value or Declaration of Equivalence, the Admission Committee shall decide on the validity of the diploma according to the applicable regulations in force in Italy and in the country in which the diploma was awarded and to international agreements regarding the recognition of qualifications for continuing study, for the sole purpose of admission to the course.
For more information please visit the official website.