Deadline: 14 June 2023
Open to: candidates aged 18 – 34, who are engaged in the fields of youth employment and job creation
Benefits: access to the One Young World Summit 2023 (2-5 October in Belfast, UK)
It is predicted that by 2030, at least 2 billion young people will be seeking work and opportunities, making underemployment and a lack of opportunities one of the most significant socio-economic and security challenges we are currently faced with. Youth unemployment has been directly linked to feelings of social exclusion, anxiety, and hopelessness; and at its worst, can lead to poverty, violent extremism, political instability, and crime. As such, finding solutions to this growing problem will be key to creating a peaceful, sustainable, and equitable future for all.
The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) and their youth entrepreneurship initiative, Orange Corners, are committed to investing in education and youth employment for this reason; aiming to improve prospects for young people, particularly in developing countries and fragile states, by bridging the gap between the skills young people learn and what the labour market demands.
Local entrepreneurs play a key role in achieving this, creating key jobs and providing youth employment opportunities for those in their communities. As such, the Dutch MFA and Orange Corners are pleased to launch their annual scholarship in collaboration with One Young World to offer young leaders and entrepreneurs from these countries a place at the annual One Young World Summit.
The One Young World Summit 2023 will see 2,000 young leaders from 190+ countries descend to Belfast for the global forum for young leaders, during which delegates will present and debate solutions to our time’s most pressing issues alongside senior leaders. This will offer young entrepreneurs an unparalleled experience to become engaged, build on successful initiatives, and connect with other changemakers around the world.
Re-named this year as the Enterprising Futures Scholarship, the initiative has the following objectives:
- Empowering young leaders to create sustainable job opportunities in selected regions.
- Leveraging the potential of young people as widely as possible for job creation and highlighting their potential as a solution to fostering prosperous societies.
- Raising awareness of youth unemployment and sharing best practices regarding this subject.
Candidates must be:
- Aged 18 – 34 by the date of the One Young World 2023 Summit in October.
- Actively engaged in the fields of youth employment and job creation, either as entrepreneurs or in a similar role (and be able to demonstrate this).
- Nationals of and residents in one of the following countries: Algeria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Côte d’Ivoire, Egypt, Ethiopia, Iraq including Kurdistan region of Iraq, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Mali, Mozambique, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Palestinian Territories, Senegal, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Tunisia, Uganda. Please note that candidates with refugee status are certainly eligible.
- All candidates will be required to have a working understanding of English, as both the One Young World Summit and Enterprising Futures pre- and post-programmes will be held in English.
- Candidates must be available to join the programme full-time between 1 and 6 October 2023, as well as pre- and post-programme dates.
The Dutch MFA values an inclusive and diverse environment. The Dutch MFA encourages all young entrepreneurs (rural-urban) that are eligible to apply (no matter race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, religion, or education).
- Access to additional events organised by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Orange Corners.
- Access to the One Young World Summit 2023, taking place from 2-5 October in Belfast, United Kingdom.
- Hotel accommodation during the Summit dates.
- One night of hotel accommodation (if required) for the visa application process
- Additional night pre-Summit (if needed).
- The cost of travel to and from the host city of the Summit (flights in economy).
- Domestic travel costs to the airport to take the international flight (flight in economy).
- Travel to the visa application process (if required).
- Visa costs, if applicable (including visa costs and required travel for visa appointment).
- Catering which includes breakfast at the hotel accommodation and, lunch and dinner at the Summit.
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue.
- Lifetime membership to the OYW community.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information, visit the official website.