Deadline: 16 July 2012
Open to: citizens of developing countries
The WCS Research Fellowship Program (RFP) is a small grants program designed to build capacity for the next generation of conservationists by supporting individual field research projects that have a clear application to the conservation of threatened wildlife and wild places. Collectively, the professionals receiving RFP grants will apply field-tested conservation science to the challenges facing the natural world.
In recent years the RFP was re-designed with a focus on supporting work directly related to WCS priority land/seascapes, species, and/or the global initiatives of wildlife health, climate change, ecosystem services/payments for ecosystem services, and natural resource management. Specific information on these topics can be found at the links below.
- Preference is given to applicants enrolled in Masters and PhD level programs however applications will be accepted from all conservationists in the early stages of their career.
- Applicants must be citizens of developing countries (i.e., any country not defined as a “high income economy” by the World Bank at http://data.worldbank.org/about/country-classifications/country-and-lending-groups. An exception is made for applicants who are Native American (US) or First Nations, Métis, or Inuit (Canada).
- Applicants cannot be current WCS employees. However, seasonal WCS employees are eligible if enrolled in academic institutions and not working for WCS for the duration of the project.
- Applicants must not have received a WCS RFP grant in the past.
- Organizations or teams are not eligible for WCS RFP funding. If you are interested in applying for a grant as part of a team, please visit the Conservation Leadership Programme website.
- There must be only one Principal Investigator (PI) listed on the application. Faculty and/or research advisors should not be listed as the PI.
- Download the Word application template here.
- Please note: Applications are accepted in English, Spanish, and French only. Your abstract, however, MUSTbe in English.
- If a particular question is not applicable to you, please enter N/A in the answer box.
- Please stay within the maximum word count required for each section.
- The application form must be filled out completely before it can be submitted for consideration. You will also need to send a CV, any permits or letters of endorsement, and a letter of recommendation before submitting your application (see Section 6 of the application form).
- When you are certain that your application is complete please send your completed application and, CV, any permits or letters of endorsement, and a letter of recommendation firstname.lastname@example.org