Deadline: Start date is 30 June 2024
Open to: College graduates interested in tech and operations
Benefits: One-year term appointment as a research associate
Harvard Business School seeks a part-time Research Associate to support a faculty member in the Technology and Operations Management unit. The successful candidate will have a strong foundation in data science and/or computer science, and experience with programming.
The Research Associate (RA) position reports directly to faculty supervisors and administrative manager in the Research Staff Services office. Ideal RA candidates will be comfortable in an environment that requires a high level of independence, intellectual curiosity, and the ability to use discretionary judgment.
This is a part-time term appointment starting this summer (start date flexible) through June 30, 2024, with an expectation of reappointment until June 30, 2025. This role is offered as a hybrid (some combination of onsite and remote) where associates are required to be onsite at our Boston, MA based campus 2-4 days per week. Specific days and schedule will be determined between associates and their manager.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with a focus in Data Science, Computer Science, Machine Learning, or related field is required
- Demonstrated experience in programming required.
Evidence of academic excellence and of prior independent research experience.
Evidence of prior high-quality, original academic writing, and background in analysis and interpretation of relevant data, research, news, and literature. All positions will be given a writing exam. Ability to read academic, subject-specific information and write a reasoned and thoughtful analysis, as well as produce a creative interpretation, is a must.
Proven ability to work independently and creatively. This position requires an individual capable of consistent use of discretion, judgment, and initiative. The candidate must have extremely high standards in terms of quality of work, attention to detail, strong organization skills, and absolute commitment to task completion. He or she must be able to balance multiple tasks and shifting priorities under tight deadlines at an accelerated pace when necessary.
Diplomatic skills, comfort in interacting with prominent individuals, and grace under pressure are essential. It is helpful if the candidate is familiar with navigating a complex organization, such as Harvard Business School.
- Work under the general direction of HBS faculty on topics central to HBS research agenda. Provide subject-area knowledge, analysis and interpretation to faculty member. Identify and explore a wide-range of questions related to faculty’s research agenda.
- Develop, design, conduct, analyze, and implement research using data science knowledge and prior knowledge of requested statistical packages. Perform statistical programming.
- Ensure compliance with department, University, and federal regulations. Complete work with only general direction. Be aware of department, School, University policies and potential outside research policies.
- Under general direction of faculty member, must be able to take complex research ideas, concepts, and methodologies and apply them to new projects and situations. Must be able to structure assignments and keep faculty member informed as necessary, using own judgment.
- Other duties as assigned.
All Research Associate roles at HBS are structured as one-year term appointments with potential for renewal based on funding and performance.
HOW TO APPLY?
A cover letter is required to be considered for this opportunity. All candidates will be given a writing exam.
For more information, please visit the official website.