Deadline: 1 August 2018
Open to: journalists worldwide
Awards: Gold Award – USD 5,000 and a Silver Award – USD 3,500
Since their inception in 1945, the AAAS Science Journalism Awards have honored professional journalists for distinguished reporting on the sciences, engineering, and mathematics. In recognition of a generous endowment by The Kavli Foundation, the awards now are called the AAAS Kavli Science Journalism Awards, and the contest is open to journalists worldwide.
They have created new Video categories that replace and broaden what had been the Television categories. The new categories encompass both traditional broadcast television and cable entries as well as stand-alone digital videos that formerly had been accepted in the Online category. The aim is to honor high-quality video science journalism, regardless of platform. As with the previous Television categories, they are seeking programs and segments by professional journalists and producers aimed at a general audience. The judging panels, with the guidance of the Managing Committee, will determine the journalistic eligibility of video entries.
The Video categories are:
- Video: Spot News/Feature Reporting — Broadcast, cable and stand-alone online videos (20 minutes or less);
- Video: In-Depth Reporting — Broadcast, cable and stand-alone online videos (more than 20 minutes).
- Only individuals over the age of eighteen (18) years as of August 1, 2018 who are residing and located in a jurisdiction where the contest is lawful;
- Submitted publications must have been originally published, broadcast, or posted online during the contest year;
- Open to journalists doing work for independent news organizations around the globe;
- Print articles must be readily accessible to the public by subscription or newsstand sales;
A Gold Award (USD 5,000) and a Silver Award (USD 3,500) will be given in each of the Video categories.
How to Apply?
In order to apply, please fill the application.
Entry limit: Entrants may submit up to THREE entries in all (across one or more categories).