Course starts: February 2016
Open to: everyone with an interest in a topic
Certificates: Audit Track for free, Certificate Track – EUR 49, Certificate Bundle Parts 2,3 – EUR 89
From Bugatti Veyron to Volkswagen Bettle, from racing to passenger car: learn more about cornering and drifting and look deeper into Kamm’s circles and Kemple’s diagram. In this second part of Vehicle Dynamics, the lateral dynamic aspects of vehicles will be illuminated (clear and brief: the cornering of a car). The course will start with a simple single-track model and then describe the slip angle of a wheel. The slip angle results in cornering forces, which are essential for understanding lateral dynamics. After that, it will look at the dependency between longitudinal and lateral forces using Kamm’s circle and Krempel’s diagram. Then it will investigate steady state cornering, stability and the influence of different weight distributions between inner and outer side wheels of the car. The course will finish with two applications from automotive mechatronics. The duration of the course is 13 weeks with a workload of 2-3 hours per week. This course has a total of 10 chapters, and the topics for each chapter are the following:
- Chapter 1: Preliminaries;
- Chapter 2: Single-Track Model;
- Chapter 3: Tyre side slip;
- Chapter 4: Steady state cornering;
- Chapter 5: Solution of linear single track model;
- Chapter 6: Stability and step steer;
- Chapter 7: Wheelload transfer;
- Chapter 8: Suspension systems;
- Chapter 9: Active lateral systems;
- Chapter 10: Solutions Homework: Part 1;
- Chapter 11: Solutions Homework: Part 2.
The course is open to everyone with an interest in this topic. Some basic understanding of the following subjects will help you successfully participate in this course: Algebra; Trigonometric Functions; Differential Calculus; Linear Algebra; Vectors; Coordinate Systems; Force, Torque, Equilibrium; Mass, Center of Gravity, Moment of Inertia; Method of Sections, Friction, Newton’s Law, (Lagrange’s Equation).
What will you learn?
At the end of the course you will …
- Understand basic principles of cornering of a car;
- Know slip angle and cornering forces;
- Understand the single track model;
- Understand the steady state cornering, stability and the influence of different weight distribution between inner and outer side of the car;
- Be able to calculate simple properties of a car.
How to enroll?
You can enroll for FREE at the iversity platform HERE. You can certify your learning by choosing one of the certificate tracks or simply audit the course without a certificate – Audit Track for free, Certificate Track – EUR 49, Certificate Bundle Parts 2,3 – EUR 89.
For more information please visit the official website.