Course starts: 10 November 2015
Open to: everyone with an interest in a topic
Certificates: Audit Track for free, Certificate Track – EUR 49, Certificate Bundle Parts 1,2 – EUR 89, Certificate Bundle Parts 1,2,3 – EUR 99
From Bugatti Veyron to Volkswagen Beetle, from racing to passenger car: study about their acceleration and braking and learn from two applications from automotive mechatronics. In this first part of Vehicle Dynamics, the longitudinal dynamic aspects of vehicles will be illuminated (clear and brief: acceleration and braking). After an introduction, the course will focus on driving resistances and slip, explain the demand of power and limits of a car, then clarify the needs for a clutch and gears and look at the rear and front weights during acceleration and braking. The course will be finished by two applications from automotive mechatronics. The duration of the course is 14 weeks with a workload of 2-3 hours per week. This course has a total of 12 chapters, and the topics for each chapter are the following:
- Chapter 1: Preliminaries;
- Chapter 2: Introduction and Rolling Resistance;
- Chapter 3: Resistances: Grading, Acceleration, Aerodynamic Drag;
- Chapter 4: Real and ideal characteristic maps;
- Chapter 5: Approximation of the ideal map: Clutch and transmission;
- Chapter 6: Driving performance and axle loads;
- Chapter 7: ABS: Anti-lock Braking System;
- Chapter 8: ACC;
- Chapter 9: Homework Solutions Chapters 1 -3;
- Chapter 10: Homework Solutions Chapter 4 – 5;
- Chapter 11: Homework Solutions Chapter 6 – 8;
- Chapter 12: Solution of the exam.
The course is open to everyone with an interest in this topic. Some basic understanding of the following subjects will help you successfully participate in this course: Algebra; Trigonometric Functions; Differential Calculus; Linear Algebra; Vectors; Coordinate Systems; Force, Torque, Equilibrium; Mass, Center of Gravity, Moment of Inertia; Method of Sections, Friction, Newton’s Law, (Lagrange’s Equation).
What will you learn?
By the end of the course you will …
- Understand basic principles of accelerating and braking a car;
- Know the driving resistances and their influences on vehicle dynamics;
- Understand the discrepancy between demands and limits of powertrain;
- Understand the necessity of gears and clutch;
- Understand the correlation between braking, wheel load and recovery of energy;
- Be able to calculate simple properties of a car.
How to enroll?
You can enroll for FREE at the iversity platform HERE. You can certify your learning by choosing one of the certificate tracks or simply audit the course without a certificate – Audit Track for free, Certificate Track – EUR 49, Certificate Bundle Parts 1,2 – EUR 89, Certificate Bundle Parts 1,2,3 – EUR 99.
For more information please visit the official website.