Deadline: 2 August 2015
Open to: applicants with a relevant degree in an area of law, political science, equality studies or social policy with at least 2 years of working experience, who is interested to focus on work relating to gender equality and cooperation with partners in this field
Remuneration: EUR 2600 – 3000 gross per month
For its Brussels-based Secretariat, Equinet is seeking to recruit a Policy Officer, with a particular focus on the work relating to gender equality and cooperation with members and partners in this field. The successful candidate will lead Equinet’s work on the ground of gender and gender identity and ensure that gender equality is mainstreamed in all Equinet activities. S/he will also contribute to the overall policy and legal work of Equinet on all grounds and in all fields of discrimination, including multiple discrimination. The Policy Officer will:
- Ensure the smooth and efficient management of the Equinet Working Group on Gender Equality, including the production of policy and legal documents and publications;
- Work to conceptualise, prepare and organise selected Equinet Training events, Seminars and Conferences, including those focusing on gender equality issues;
- Take responsibility for and manage selected Equinet projects, thematic clusters and research, and support the overall work of the policy and legal team;
- Contribute to monitoring legal and policy developments in the field of equality and non-discrimination both at the national and European/international level;
- Engage with Equinet members and external partners, and represent Equinet at external events as appropriate.
The Policy Officer will report to the Senior Policy Officer heading the overall legal and policy work of the Network within the Secretariat. S/he will also work closely with the Equinet Executive Director and with other staff members, as required by the overall tasks and responsibilities of the Equinet Secretariat, and will engage with the Equinet Board on a regular basis.
To be eligible, applicants should meet following requirements:
- Relevant degree in an area such as law, political science, equality studies or social policy, possibly with a focus on non-discrimination, equality and human rights;
- Relevant professional experience of at least 2 years in a relevant field of work, with a focus on non-discrimination and gender equality;
- A good understanding of the nature, work and mandate of national equality bodies in relation to combating discrimination and promoting equality in general and in the gender field in particular;
- Excellent knowledge of equal treatment, gender equality and human rights issues at an international, EU and/or national level;
- Proven organisational and project management/administration skills with an eye for details, and a sense of initiative;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build strong relationships with member organisations and external stakeholders and partners across Europe;
- Proven ability to work with professionals in an international and multicultural environment;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Proven drafting and communication skills;
- Personal commitment to equality, gender equality, non-discrimination, equal opportunities and human rights.
This is a full-time, permanent position within the Brussels-based Equinet Secretariat. Equinet offers an open-ended Belgian employment contract (salary range EUR 2600 – 3000 gross per month according to the level of experience and expertise, contract including additional holiday payment and a 13th month) and secondary employment benefits (meal vouchers and contribution to travel between home and workplace). The starting date will be as soon as possible (from September 2015).
How to apply?
The deadline for applications is 2 August 2015. To apply, please send your CV (in English) together with the completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of the Executive Director. Please clearly mention “Application – Policy Officer” in the heading. Interviews and written tests for short-listed applicants are planned to take place in Brussels on 27 – 28 August 2015. Please note that оnly short-listed applicants will be contacted.