Deadline: 24 November 2014
Open to: master graduates in Biology, Anthropology, Evolutionary biology, Bioinformatics or other related field
Fellowship: NOK 429,700 – 482,800 (50,266-56,835 euros) per year
A 3 year position as PhD Research Fellow is available at the Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis (CEES), Department of Biosciences, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Oslo. The main objective of this PhD project is to investigate strains of Yersinia pestis from different localities and periods of the second plague pandemic (14th-18th c.). With ancient DNA analysis it has been demonstrated that Y. pestis was the causative agent of all known historic plague pandemics with distinct variants circulating simultaneously through Europe during past outbreaks. The successful candidate will join the multi-disciplinary, international team of MedPlag that brings together experts from the fields of ancient DNA, ecology, evolution, microbiology, archaeology and history.
The PhD candidate should have completed a MSc degree (or other education equivalent to a Norwegian degree) of high quality in biology, anthropology, evolutionary biology, bioinformatics or a field demonstrably relevant to the project description. The candidate should have a background within population genomics, bioinformatics or ancient DNA. The candidate should be able to document strong analytical skills and experience in the laboratory. Experience with ancient DNA, analytical or theoretical, and bioinformatics will be of advantage.
The Fellow will receive NOK 429,700 – 482,800 (50,266-56,835 euros) per year for 3 years. The Fellow is responsible for assuring accommodation and organizing his living during the Fellowship Program. The financial support is more than enough for a decent living in Oslo, Norway.
The mode of applying is online. The application must include:
- Application letter including a statement of interest, summarizing your scientific work and interests and describing how you fit the description of the person we seek;
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic experience);
- Copies of educational certificates (bachelor and master), and transcript of records;
- 2 names and contact details of references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number);
- Academic publications (if any) may be included to be considered by the evaluation committee (up to 3);
- Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University’s grading system. Please remember that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
For more information please visit the official webpage