Deadline: January 2015
Open to: students worldwide who would like to work on educational, training, awareness raising games
Did you know that games can be serious? Serious Games take advantage of the engaging characteristics of games to develop the players’ knowledge, personal and social skills. By joining this course you will learn how to design and how to develop a serious game!
The course addresses the design and development of Serious Games. Serious Games are games that do not have entertainment as the main purpose but rather an educational, awareness raising, training, advertisement or other “serious” purpose that benefits from the engaging context that games provide to motivate the users. Serious Games have been typically used in education, training, health, defense and other sectors.
MOOC students will go through all the steps of the development of a Serious Educational Game from selecting the idea and binding it with learning goals to the development and testing of the game prototype in an environment that does not require programming skills. The programme of study will allow students to understand the process of idealizing, designing, developing, testing and delivering a game. At the same time, students will benefit from a hands-on experience, working in intercultural and interdisciplinary teams, exploiting the expertise of an international team of participating teachers and industry experts.
Course instructors: Carlos Vaz de Carvalho, Paula Escudeiro
What will you learn?
The course objective is to allow students understand the process of idealizing, designing, developing, testing and delivering a serious game. By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Understand and comment the main concepts of game culture and digital game theory;
- Analyze game taxonomies and identify the specific characteristics of each game type;
- Carry out analyses and user tests to understand users’ demands and needs and convert them into serious game requisites (including learning objectives for game-based learning);
- Understand and apply serious game methodologies;
- Understand the concepts related to game play, game flow, interactive narratives, storytelling and apply them in practice to develop an addictive game;
- List the main tools (game editors) available to develop games and to identify the best one for a specific purpose;
- Use a specific game editor to develop a serious game;
- Idealize, design, develop, test and deliver a serious game.
What do you need to know?
Interested students are required to have basic computer and internet skills.
How to enroll?
You can enroll for free at the iversity platform HERE. The course will be conducted in English and the workload will be approximately 5 hours per week for watching video lectures, taking quizzes and completing homework assignments.