Deadline: 15 March 2014
Open to: PhD students and PhD holders
Fellowship: roundtrip air ticket, monthly maintenance allowance, settling-in allowance
Every year United Nations University offers PhD and Postdoctoral Fellowships to provide young scholars and policymakers, especially from the developing world, with a multidisciplinary context within which to pursue advanced research and training that are of professional interest to the successful applicant and of direct relevance to the research agenda of their selected UNU Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) or UNU Centre for Policy Research (UNU-CPR) programme.
The Fellowship Programme provides the successful applicant with a unique opportunity to:
- develop and advance their research under the supervision of a UNU-IAS or UNU-CPR faculty member and contribute to the overall research agenda of the Institute;
- widen their research interests and professional networks by working in the international and multi-disciplinary context of UNU-IAS and UNU-CPR, and with their wider network of Japanese universities and research institutes, as well as international collaborators;
- become exposed to the workings of international and multilateral policy processes and the broader UN system; and
- link with other UNU-IAS and UNU-CPR PhD and Postdoctoral Fellows.
The Fellows are resident at UNU-IAS or UNU-CPR in Tokyo, Japan for the full term of the fellowship. This gives the PhD and Postdoctoral Fellows the opportunity to gain from the broader research programme of lectures, seminars, workshops and conferences arranged by UNU-IAS and UNU-CPR. UNU’s close institutional links with Japanese affiliated professors and researchers from key universities and think tanks in Japan and around the world also allow Fellows to link into the broader Japanese academic and research community.
- UNU-IAS PhD Fellowship – 12 months, applicants must be at an advanced dissertation writing stage of the PhD with their research proposal accepted by their university;
- UNU-IAS Postdoctoral Fellowship – 12 months (possibility of renewal for another 12 months), applicants must have gained their PhD degree;
- JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship – 24 months, applicants must have gained their PhD degree on or after 2 April 2008 for the 2014 Fellowships; Applicants must be citizens of countries that have diplomatic relations with Japan. Japanese nationals are not eligible.
The fellowship award includes:
- A round-trip air ticket (based on JSPS regulations);
- A monthly maintenance allowance (varies depending on the program) ranges between JPY260,000 – JPY362,000 (EUR 1,870 – EUR 2,600);
- A settling-in allowance (varies depending on the program) ranges between JPY 80,000 – JPY200,000.
Interested and eligible candidates are invited to complete the online-application form. If an applicant does not have access to the Internet, he or she should contact UNU-IAS (see the contact information below). The online form and the required documents indicated in the form must be in English. If supporting documents are not in English, English translations must be attached.
Ph.D. Fellowship Programme
United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies
6F, International Organizations Center
1-1-1 Minato Mirai
Nishi-ku, Yokohama 220-8502
The deadline for applications for the 2014 Fellowships is 15 March 2014.
For more information visit the official website HERE.