Deadline: 9 February 2014
Open to: candidates with minimum three years relevant professional experience
Remuneration: commensurate with experience, excellent benefit package
The Think Tank Fund (TTF) is a thematic program of the Open Society Foundations that supports independent policy research centers to strengthen democratic processes by identifying political, economic and social problems, researching them in a non-partisan and policy relevant way and providing policy alternatives that enrich public debate. TTF also examines the various roles and functions that think tanks play in the political and policy arenas. As such, it serves as a knowledge hub and advocate for evidence-informed policy research. TTF pursues this mission through operational and grant making programs with global coverage.
Program Officer contributes to the development, administration and evaluation of grant portfolios and selected operational activities pertaining to TTF’s initiative on tackling fear, the security mindset, and “othering” of the Roma population, and spearhead demonstration projects countering state capture within the Fund’s second initiative. S/he also contributes to the joint work with Open Society Initiative for Europe.
The position requires cooperation and coordination with other colleagues in implementing operational programs, and support and oversight of think tanks in their implementation of supported projects. In order to be effective in this position, Program Officer must stay abreast of relevant developments in the thematic and research fields, and target countries related to the grant portfolios and the program’s work.
Overall responsibilities will include: reviewing project proposals and preparing summaries for discussion with the Senior Program Manager and, or Director; administering and monitoring the grants process using electronic grants system (based on Salesforce) in liaison with other TTF colleagues, grants management and finance departments; conducting site visits; communicating and negotiating with various entities within Open Society Foundations network, other donors and grantees to follow up project proposals under review or development; evaluating grants and maintaining contact with grantees to support projects through to completion; initiating, organizing and supporting capacity building events for the grantees, representing the Fund in front of other donors and stakeholders in the field. The Program Officer reports directly to the Senior Program Manager in charge of the TTF’s initiatives.
More information regarding the essential duties and responsibilities of the Programme Officer is provided HERE.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor degree in social science, (sociology, psychology, anthropology; or political science, economy, public policy). Master’s degree in a relevant field is a plus;
- Minimum three years of relevant experience required;
- General knowledge of European Union affairs; specific knowledge on work countering xenophobia, discrimination, “othering” and “desecuritization”; (“Othering” refers to the process of portraying and enforcing portrayal of non-majority populations as irreconcilably foreign, alien, or “other.” While “othering” is part of life in all diverse societies, we are concerned by ways in which “othering” crosses into xenophobia, racism and discrimination.)
- Familiarity with the policy research and the world of policy advice including think tanks. Advanced knowledge of, and demonstrated interest in research methodologies, data analysis, and data visualizations is an asset.
- Fluent written and oral English required; working knowledge of French is an asset;
- Standard office computer skills required. Comfortable independent user level of MS Excel, Word. Knowledge of SalesForce, NetSuite, and other software is an asset;
- Ability to compose effective, thoughtful and sensitive correspondence;
- Superior interpersonal, written and organizational skills;
- Ability to manage effectively simultaneous activities in a fast-paced environment and to prioritize accordingly;
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with external partners, grantees, co-workers and senior management;
- Integrity and professional discretion;
- Willingness to travel.
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefit package.
Please send applications in English, including a cover letter and curriculum vitae, to applications_Bp@admingroup.hu, stating “TTF-Program Officer” in the subject line.
Application deadline: February 9th, 2014
For more information about the Think Tank Fund, please click HERE.