Deadline: 5 July 2012
Open to: Holders of an university degree, with demonstrable administrative experience in an office environment and excellent written and spoken English
Remuneration: Full daily board and lodging, plus a grant of €500 per month and travel expenses to and from Rome at the beginning and end of the contract
This position is offered as a one-year fixed-term contract, with a start date in September 2012. It is an excellent opportunity for an entrepreneurial and self-motivated individual who is looking to develop their career potential in arts, media and/or academic administration, and who will enjoy living and working in a scholarly and artistic environment. The BSR is Britain’s leading humanities research institute abroad, with an exciting record of archaeological projects, research on Italy from prehistory to the contemporary, and a thriving programme of architecture and contemporary art exhibitions.
- Assist with the planning and organisation of the BSR’s activity and events programme.
- Manage publicity for the BSR’s events programme in Rome, including preparation and distribution of newsletters, posters and notices of forthcoming events (through hard-copy, e-mailing lists, websites and social networks), editing and uploading podcasts.
- Provide regular technical support and invigilation at evening lectures, conferences and other events.
- Maintain the BSR’s contact databases and associated mailing lists and reports on a day-to-day basis.
- Maintain the BSR’s web presence and communicate through other social media, including Facebook and Twitter.
- Help with the organisation of, and logistical arrangements for the BSR’s taught courses.
- Offer administrative support for other areas of BSR activity.
- Provide reception cover and occasional work with residential bookings.
- Occasional weekend duty (being on call for emergencies, and greeting weekend arrivals to the BSR) and performance of other related duties as assigned.
- A university degree, preferably in a subject related to the BSR’s sphere of activity.
- Demonstrable administrative experience in an office environment.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Excellent IT skills, including standard office systems and use of social networks and databases.
- Flexible attitude and ability to work with colleagues across the BSR.
- High level of personal organisation and attention to detail.
- Good working knowledge of Italian.
- Experience of database maintenance including basic query-writing and report production.
- Experience of producing documents using desktop publishing packages.
- self-learner with ability to work independently
- Creative and dynamic
- With a keen interest in arts and humanities
Full daily board at the common table when available and lodging will be provided at the BSR, plus a grant of €500 per month and travel expenses to and from Rome at the beginning and end of the contract. The successful candidate will provide support to all office functions under the supervision of the Director’s Assistant. The position is full time, 37 hours per week, but hours will be flexible including some evening work at events and weekend duty.
Applications, consisting of a covering letter (demonstrating how you fit the person specification) and CV, should be emailed as either a pdf file or word document to email@example.com