Open to: applicants enrolled in a PhD programme
Fund: travel grant, insurance and a stipend to cover living expenses
World Institute for Development Economics Research of the United Nations University (UNU-WIDER) is the first research and training centre of the United Nations University (UNU), established in Helsinki, Finland in 1984.
The UNU-WIDER PhD Research Internship Programme aims to provide PhD (doctoral degree) students registered at a university and similar research institutions the opportunity
1. to utilise the resources and facilities available at UNU-WIDER for their PhD thesis research
2. to produce papers suitable for publication in the Research Paper series and elsewhere
3. to work jointly with UNU-WIDER researchers in areas of mutual interest.
The selected interns are expected to spend 2-6 months in Helsinki and return to their home institution afterwards, pursue research on a mutually agreed topic, contribute to UNU-WIDER’s research-related activities, give seminars on their research findings etc.
* be currently enrolled into a PhD programme;
* have shown ability to conduct research on developing or transition economies (candidates working in other social sciences may apply but should keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused institute);
* be fluent in oral and written English;
* possess good quantitative and statistical analysis skills.
Preference will be given to applicants:
* who are living or working in developing or transition countries.
* whose research topics are linked to UNU-WIDER’s current programme.
* who are willing to work jointly with UNU-WIDER researchers for mutual benefit.
* who are at later stages of their PhD.
The intern will be provided a travel grant, travel and accident insurance, and a stipend to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the period of their internship. Health insurance should be arranged privately by the candidates. The programme does not cover expenses related to dependants.
All interested applicants should submit:
1. an application from
2. work proposal for internship (research proposal including research outcomes, reasons for seeking to come to UNU-WIDER, potential contribution(s) to UNU-WIDER’s research activities, period of internship sought for, a research timetable, and relevance/links to UNU-WIDER’s ongoing projects).
3. applications should be accompanied by a letter of reference from the supervisor(s).
All the documents need to be submitted by regular mail to the following address:
PhD Internship Programme
Katajanokanlaituri 6 B
The applications need to be received by 30th September 2010.
With any further queries contact: email@example.com