Gathering EU and sub-Saharan journalists to report on international development issues.
Open to: young media professionals and students from journalism of EU-12 member states (Malta, Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania)
East 4 South is a chance to see development in action. Young European media professionals will team up with experienced African journalists and report from the field. You’ll capture the story and share it with the world, learning tricks of the trade from veteran journalists.
East 4 South will unite 60 young journalists from EU-12 and African countries to investigate EU development policies and report directly from sub-Saharan Africa. This will happen in three rounds, each to include 10 European and 10 African journalists.
East 4 South offers
* professional training in international reporting by audiovisual experts and trainers;
* possibility of distribution of project work among African and European media;
* direct access to local sources;
* travel and reporting opportunities in Sub-Saharan Africa;
* excellent networking opportunities;
* first-hand experience with development projects (focusing on poverty and hunger, universal education, gender equality, child and maternal health, combating HIV/AIDS, environment sustainability.
The grant will cover
* international travel, accommodation, meals and local transport;
* preparation, training, travel arrangements, coaching during post-production;
* audio-visual reporting equipment, and component parts if necessary
Participants will have to cover the costs related to:
* travel Insurance, visas and tropical vaccinations
The training is open to young media professionals and students from journalism, communication and filmmaking schools of EU-12 member states (Malta, Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania) the opportunity to work alongside their African counterparts.
All interested applicants need to submit:
1. the application form
2. a motivation letter (~1 page)
Both documents need to be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
PLUS applicants need to submit latest reports/pieces (TV, radio, print or online) which portraits best how the applicant work as a journalist or as a filmmaker. That can be emailed as a link or uploaded to a public server and then send the link to email above. The length should be 5 to 10 minutes.
The application deadline is 2nd April 2010.
With any further queries contact: email@example.com