Deadline: 27 October 2022
Open to: people with a PhD that was conferred between September 1, 2017 and December 31, 2021
Benefits: USD $60,000 plus USD $5,000 for research and travel expenses
ACLS invites applications for Getty/ACLS Postdoctoral Fellowships in the History of Art, made possible by the generous support of the Getty Foundation. These fellowships provide early career scholars from around the world time to undertake sustained research and/or writing for projects that will make substantial and original contributions to the understanding of art and its history. The program funds projects at all stages of development, and the ultimate goal of the project should be a major piece of scholarly work by the applicant. This program does not fund creative work (e.g., novels or films), textbooks, straightforward translation, or pedagogical projects.
Getty and ACLS share a commitment to fostering greater diversity within the academy and they ask reviewers to take diversity, equity, and inclusion as serious considerations. They are especially interested in supporting promising scholars who bring perspectives and backgrounds that are historically underrepresented in the field of art history, and who were trained at and/or affiliated with institutions from all regions of the world.
- Applicants must have a PhD that was conferred between September 1, 2017 and December 31, 2021.
- Applicants who earned their PhDs in any humanistic field may apply, so long as they demonstrate that their research draws substantially on the materials, methods, and/or findings of art history, and contributes to the field. Scholars may propose new approaches to art historical scholarship and/or explore connections between art history and other humanistic disciplines.
- This program welcomes proposals from applicants from anywhere in the world, without restriction as to citizenship, country of residency, location of work proposed, or employment.
- An application must be completed in English by the applicant. (Please see our FAQ for guidance for international applicants.)
- ACLS will award 10 fellowships, each with a stipend of $60,000, plus $5,000 for research and travel during the award period. The fellowships are portable: a fellow may elect to take up the award at any appropriate site for the work proposed, anywhere in the world.
- Awards also include a special multi-day residency at the Getty Research Institute in Los Angeles following the fellowship period. The residency offers Getty/ACLS fellows a structured, personalized orientation to the Getty’s rich holdings and provides a forum for them to network and present their research to each other and to Getty curators and staff.
HOW TO APPLY?
For further information, please visit the official website.