Deadline: 08 August 2022
Open to: international candidates
Location and type: Berlin / full time
Do you want to help make the world a better place with your expertise in program management and the MENA region? Open Society Foundations is seeking a Program Manager based in Berlin focused on project management, grantmaking, and institutional outreach across the countries of the European Union. The Program Manager will develop programming that includes constituency building, campaigning, and general advocacy to contest the problem of rising authoritarianism in MENA.
The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and inclusive democracies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people.
The Middle East and North Africa Program is the central regional program working on all MENA issues, headquartered in Amman. The regional program also has a sub-regional office in Tunis, with staff located in Amman, Tunis, New York, Berlin, London and Washington DC, supports a diverse group of local civil society organizations, research centers, universities, and media organizations across the Middle East. For more information, please click here.
As a Program Manager at Open Society Foundation, you will:
- Design and implement MENA’s strategy to support transnational activism and diaspora power through grant-making and other tools that includes communications, advocacy, fellowships, and scholarships.
- Convene diaspora actors to develop strategies and campaigns around priority MENA issues.
- Design and implement other time sensitive special projects dedicated to countering authoritarianism in the MENA region through research, grantmaking, strategic litigation, and advocacy.
- Identify high potential new partners or lines of work that further strategic goals; manage budgets for the efficient allocation of program resources; review and assess grant applications and make funding recommendations.
- Conduct institutional outreach within EU countries (i.e. with donors, governmental/intergovernmental agencies) in support of advocacy goals of partner groups.
- Manage partnerships with intermediary MENA advocacy groups based in Europe and ensure proper coordination with MENA teams
- Monitor and evaluate strategy goals and grant portfolios, monitors grantees’ work through site visits and desk research.
- Experience and knowledge of Middle East politics. International relations of MENA, and groups working on human rights and transnational activism related to the region.
- Experience with developing designing campaigns, advocacy, policy research, grant making and working collaboratively with partners and allies to develop new skills and build new areas of work.
- Excellent writing and project management skills
- Ability to work efficiently to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment, and ability to adapt to shifting priorities.
- Willingness to travel frequently, both domestically and internationally.
- Commitment to continuous learning and growth in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, antiracism, and social justice.
- Effectively work as a team member and independently, with a high-level of self-motivation and ability to set and meet goals.
- Show discretion and ability to handle confidential issues.
- Knowledge of key organizations and networks active in the field.
- Commitment to listening and working with humility; ways of working that are respectful to all people; and that support space and voice for all diverse perspectives in our workplace.
- Excellent written and oral English and Arabic, working knowledge of French and Farsi is desired
- Ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite trainings and learning conversations with visiting experts.
- Top-notch benefits and perks designed for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance. With some variability according to location, this includes generous time off, flexible work arrangements, employer-paid health insurance, generous retirement savings plan, progressive paid parental leave, reproductive and family planning support, sabbatical opportunities, and much more.
- A commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
How to apply?
For more information please visit the official website.