Deadline: 31 March 2021
Open to: early career researchers and senior researchers from Germany and Africa in a relevant discipline of the Humanities or the Social Sciences.
Benefits: monthly salary or grant, accommodation and reimburse travel costs, office space and an up-to-date infrastructure
Applications are open for the MIASA German – African Tandem Fellowship 2022. The Maria Sibylla Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) is broadly dedicated to research in the Humanities and Social Sciences, with ‘Sustainable Governance’ as its central, but by no means exclusive topic.
The fellowship will allow the researchers who are teaming up to pursue a joint academic project, which can be of an opening, continuing, or closing nature. Two researchers – one from Africa and one from Germany – will work in a collaborative manner on a particular research topic in the Humanities and Social Sciences, addressing in one way or another MIASA’s overarching aims. Their joint application must highlight the additional academic value of their cooperation. The application should also define the objectives and anticipated outcomes of their collaboration.
The successful applicants will become MIASA Fellows for 3-5 months within the period from 15 January to 31 July 2022 with all the corresponding rights and obligations for the requested funding period. Key among the obligations is that MIASA fellows are required to spend the bulk of their fellowship in residence at MIASA at the University of Ghana. Fellowships will be awarded to researchers of top academic quality with an innovative and high quality research topic.
- Eligible for application are early career researchers (up to 6 years after having been awarded their PhD) and senior researchers (more than 6 years after completion of their PhD) from Germany and Africa in a relevant discipline of the Humanities or the Social Sciences.
- Applicants for a junior fellowship must have been awarded their PhD between April 1, 2015 and March 31, 2021; only applicants who completed their PhD on March 31, 2015 or earlier can apply for a senior fellowship. Relevant is the date on the official PhD certificate.
Note: A full-time presence of fellows at MIASA for the fellowship period is expected. Periods of leave need to be negotiated with the MIASA directors prior to the signing of the fellowship agreements, and must not exceed 1/6 of the total fellowship period.
- The fellows’ salary costs will be met by MIASA for every full fellowship month on the principle of “no loss, no gain,” and paid directly to his/her home institution. External fellows, i.e. fellows from outside University of Ghana will, in addition, receive a monthly expense allowance of max. EUR 675, which will be paid directly to them. The exact rates paid depend on the living situation of each fellow and will be negotiated individually.
- Non-affiliated fellows, i.e. fellows without current employment, will receive a monthly grant, which will be paid directly to them. Non-affiliated senior fellows (more than 6 years after completion of their PhD) receive a monthly grant of max. EUR 2,000 in total. Non-affiliated junior fellows (up to 6 years after having been awarded their PhD) will receive a monthly grant of max. EUR1,200. The exact rates paid depend on the living situation of each fellow and will be negotiated individually.
- For all external fellows, MIASA will provide accommodation and reimburse travel costs.
- To promote the joint research, a shared research cost contribution of max. EUR 500/fellow month can be granted upon application to the directorate, e.g. for conducting field research or organizing a small academic event, like a workshop.
- The Institute provides its fellows with modern office space and an up-to-date infrastructure. Fellows have full access to all library services at the University of Ghana and, electronically, at the University of Freiburg, Germany.
How to apply
Applications can be submitted both in English and in French. The completed application form together with the required documents has to be uploaded on the application webpage and submitted by March 31, 2021; 24.00 h CET.
For more information, please visit the official webpage.