Deadline: 16 September 2019
Open to: academics and appropriately qualified professionals outside of academia
Benefits: monthly stipend and additional financial support
Conduct research in applicant’s area of specialization. Proposals must be feasible with respect to the applicant’s qualifications and language abilities, as well as time frame. It is expected that the research will result in a tangible product appropriate to the grantee’s particular field of journalism (for example, a series of articles, a television program or a series of radio stories on some facet of Japan). The product should be described in some detail in the project statement. During the grant period, grantees are welcome to generate periodic articles or reports, but they are not allowed to serve as a regular correspondent for either a U.S. employer or, if there is one, their Japanese affiliation.
The purpose of this award is to provide opportunities for both junior and senior journalists working in print, broadcast and digital media to become better informed about Japan.
The Serial (Flex) Grant is designed for scholars who require multiple visits to the host country. This option allows grants to be conducted over short segments, preferably during the fall and/or spring semesters. Interested applicants should clearly indicate plans for Flex in their project statement, including a project timeline.
Serial (Flex) grant parameters:
- Minimum length of the total grant is six months
- Grant cannot be divided into more than two segments
- Grant segments may be spread over two consecutive years with a half or more of the total grant period completed during the first academic year
- The second segment must resume within one year after the completion of the first segment
Fulbright East Asia Pacific Regional Travel Program
Fulbright Scholars in the East Asia and Pacific (EAP) region have the opportunity to apply for funds to support short-term (3-14 days) travel to other countries in the EAP region for activities such as lectures, workshops, graduate or faculty seminars, master classes or recitals, curricular advising or panel presentations. EAP Regional Travel Program funding covers transportation only. Regional Travel Program activities/host sites should not be included in the initial Fulbright application. Scholars may pursue invitations for short-term activities in other EAP countries once notified that they have been selected for a Fulbright grant, and may only apply for travel program funds once they have actively started their Fulbright grant in their host country. Scholars on Flex grants are not eligible for the regional travel grant.
- Applicants must be working journalists and have at least three years of experience.
- Applicants may be Japan specialists or nonspecialists.
- Individuals who are living in Japan are not eligible to apply.
- USD 3189.55 (350,000 yen) per month
- Family allowance: USD 455.65- 911.30 (50,000-100,000) yen per month, depending on the number of accompanying dependents
- Housing allowance: USD 1093.56-1822.60(120,000-200,000) yen per month, depending on the number of accompanying dependents
- Roundtrip international travel arranged by Fulbright commission for the grantee and a primary dependent who accompanies the grantee on a grant of nine months or more
- Baggage allowance: USD 300-500 for Japan-bound and USD 546.78-911.30(60,000-100,000 yen) for U.S.-bound, depending on the length of the grant
- Settling-in allowance: equivalent to one month’s housing allowance (120,000 yen to 200,000 yen)
- Research allowance: USD 2733.90-4556.50 (300,000-500,000 yen), depending on the length of the grant
- Research travel allowance: USD 273.39-911.30 (30,000-100,000 yen), depending on the length of the grant
- Honoraria for guest lecturing may be accepted under the terms of the award.
How to apply?
Required for all applicants
- Online Application | Instructions | Discipline-Specialization List
- Project Statement: Requirements
- Tailored Curriculum Vitae or Resume: Requirements
- Recommendation Letters: Requirements
- Portfolio: For applicants in the creative/performing arts, including: Architecture, Creative Writing, Dance, Design and Crafts, Filmmaking, Journalism, Music, Theater Arts, Visual Arts - Requirements
For more information, please visit the official web page.