Deadline: 18 January 2019
Open to: applicants with university degree in a relevant subject or equivalent professional experience of at least 5 years
Benefits: competitive compensation and benefits package
Education International (Equal Opportunity Employer) Invites applications for the post of Communications Coordinator Full-time, based in EI Head Office, Brussels.
Education International, the Global Union Federation which represents over 400 organisations of teachers and other education workers throughout the world, has a vacancy for a Communications coordinator, in its head office in Brussels.
As part of a small, dedicated, and multinational team, the Communications Coordinator works in a fast-paced, demanding, and versatile international environment. Based in Education International’s headquarters in Brussels, but with activities all over the world, the organisation’s Communications Unit, of which the applicant will be an integral part, is responsible (in collaboration with other EI staff and in conjunction with EI member organisations) for producing and maintaining all of EI’s strategic communication assets, publications, websites, social media channels, etc. and for supporting EI events. The Coordinator will be reporting to the unit’s Senior Coordinator.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Information and publications: Producing various EI publications, information and communication materials (copywriting, editing, translating and proofreading content) and contributing content to the organisation’s various websites, social media and other communications channels;
- Strategic messaging and speech writing: Assisting the General Secretary and other Officers and officials in preparing speeches and other public presentations based on the organisation’s policies and positions;
- Communications strategy: Developing and implementing strategies, in collaboration with EI leadership and staff, to promote the organisation’s advocacy objectives via public campaigns and initiatives in all forms of broadcast and print media;
- Public relations: Liaising directly with international and national media to promote the organisation and its interests and policy objectives;
- Internal communications: Developing and facilitating an effective internal communications system with EI member organisations including EI governance structures and regional and global staff. Liaising with EI’s member organisations and regional offices for regular updates and current information.
Tasks will also include:
- Contributing to the development of and participating in the media and communications aspects of EI’s advocacy and campaigning work;
- Assisting with the organisation of relevant meetings and events, both large and small, such as the annual Communicators’ Network meeting and the EI World Congress;
- Undertaking such other appropriate duties as are assigned from time to time.
The post-holder will be based at the EI Head Office in Brussels, but the fulfilment of the duties and responsibilities may require some foreign travel;
The appointment will be made from an agreed date upon the completion of the selection and appointment process.
Required Education and Employment Background:
- University degree in a relevant subject or equivalent professional experience of at least 5 years;
- Qualifications and experience in journalism, media and communications or a related field;
- Working experience with trade unions and/or membership-based international organisations would be an advantage;
- Outstanding knowledge and command of the English language, written and spoken (native speaker level). French, Spanish and/or German would also be an asset, but is not essential;
- Excellent English writing skills, demonstrated by published evidence (online or offline);
- High standard of relevant Office computer skills;
- Demonstrated competence in website content management and/or graphic design and/or video and audio software editing and/or social media would be a significant advantage;
- Ability to work independently as well as to collaborate as part of a small team in a multicultural and demanding environment;
- Good understanding of rights-based public education issues and trade union values.
Salary and conditions of service are in accordance with the Education International collective agreement, which defines a competitive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and based on pre-established salary ranges. This position is being offered at the Coordinator level and is subject to Belgian fiscal regulations;
How to apply?
Applications must include:
- a CV and cover letter outlining in detail how the candidate meets the criteria for appointment set out above; and
- a portfolio with original content and other supporting materials showcasing the candidate’s experience.
Applications should be submitted to Raphaël Van Woensel (email@example.com)
For more information, please visit the official website.