Deadline: 12 January 2019
Open to: everyone
Awards: cash prizes
The Magma 2018/9 poetry competition is now open for entries in both categories
- The Judge’s Prize – poems of 11 to 50 lines
- The Editors’ Prize – poems of up to 10 lines
Award-winning poet Andrew McMillan is the judge for the Judge’s Prize for poems of 11 to 50 lines and he will be reading all entries – there are no sifters.
The Editors’ Prize is judged by a panel of five Magma Editors and is for poems of up to 10 lines. The prize money for both competitions is the same, so double your chances and try your luck at both.
- The competition is open to everyone;
- You may enter as many poems as you like in each category, but you must submit them in separate documents;
- Please upload the poems in one document for each category. Please name the documents Judge’s Prize or Editors’ Prize as applicable and submit all of the poems for that category in the relevant document;
- Do not include your name or any other identifying marks on the poems themselves;
- All poems must be previously unpublished.
The entry fees are GBP 5 for the first poem, GBP 4 for the second and GBP 3.50 for the third and each subsequent poem. Magma magazine subscribers benefit from reduced fees: GBP 4 for the first poem, GBP 3 for the second, and GBP 2.50 for the third and each subsequent poem.
First prize for the Judge’s and Editors’ Prize is GBP 1000, second prize GBP 300 and third prize GBP 150. The six prize-winning poems will be published in Magma and there will also be five special mentions for the Judge’s Prize and for the Editors’ Prize. Winning and commended poets will be invited to read their poems at a Magma Competition Event in Spring 2019.
How to apply?
In order to apply you must create an account.
For more information please visit the official website.