Deadline: 1 May 2017
Open to: applicants from Commonwealth countries
Prizes: Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards, winners and Runners-up will be flown to London for a week of educational and cultural events, culminating in a special Awards Ceremony
The Royal Commonwealth Society is pleased to announce that the theme for The Queen’s Commonwealth Essay Competition 2017 is A Commonwealth for Peace.
Building upon the 2016 theme of An Inclusive Commonwealth, this year’s topics ask for a more active understanding of the role of the Commonwealth as a network of and for democracy, Human Rights and peace. We are asking young writers to explore peace at every level, from the personal to the political to the pan-Commonwealth.
- What is in your Toolbox for Peace;
- My peaceful place;
- How can children and young people come together to build a peaceful society;
- ‘Peace cannot be learnt from a book or from religion. You have to reach out and touch the nations.’ How does this relate to the Commonwealth?
- Should you fight for peace;
- Kofi Annan said ‘Education is, quite simply, peace-building by another name.’ Do you agree? Answer with reference to your country and/or the Commonwealth;
- What is the cost of peace?
The competition is open to all citizens and residents of the Commonwealth aged 18 and under and is open from 21 September until 1 May 2017.
How to Apply?
In order to submit your essay you will need to register, making sure to complete all the mandatory fields. The password you register with will be used to login to your account, where you can see your registration details and reference number. IMPORTANT: You must upload your entry at the point of registration (in other words, you cannot register and return later to upload your entry). Please note that you will have only one opportunity to submit your essay so ensure that the correct and final version is uploaded before exiting the registration process. After submission, you should receive a confirmation email to the address you registered with. Please note: we do not accept essays sent by email.
For more information please visit the official website.