Deadline: 1 February 2017
Open to: UK, EU and overseas students
Award: tuition fee as well as a stipend of 14,500 GBP
The University of Edinburgh is offering up to 45 PhD scholarships for international students. These awards are open to UK, EU and overseas students applying to start their first year of study for a research degree in 2017 – 2018.
This exciting scholarship scheme provides a valuable opportunity for postgraduate research students to undertake a package of training and development which will help them to develop the necessary skills required to meet their career choices and offer them a breadth of development opportunities in areas such as teaching, public engagement, entrepreneurship, data science, and research.
The University of Edinburgh, founded in 1582, is the sixth oldest university in the English-speaking world and one of Scotland’s ancient universities.
- UK, EU and overseas students applying to start their first year of study for a research degree in 2017-2018. Applicants should contact the School with whom they intend to study before applying for the award to ascertain whether the funding is available for the discipline involved;
- Applicants must have already applied for admission to a full-time PhD research programme of study at the University. Applicants intending to study a part-time PhD research programme will only be considered for the scholarship if they have the approval of the School they wish to study with;
- Applicants must be of outstanding academic merit and research potential. Candidates must have, or expect to obtain, a UK first class or 2:1 honours degree at undergraduate level or the international equivalent;
- Candidates are required to have good English Language skills with a minimum IELTS of 7.0 achieved within the past two years. Please check the Entry Requirements for your proposed programme of study for details of other acceptable English language qualifications. The requirement for an IELTS score of 7.0 (or equivalent) may be higher than the level required for admissions purposes;
- You may apply for the scholarship prior to obtaining the necessary English language test results but the results should be uploaded as soon as possible.
Each scholarship covers the UK/EU rate of tuition fee as well as a stipend of 14,500 GBP. Subject to satisfactory progress, the scholarships are awarded for three years.
Please also note that if you have applied for consecutive registration where you will start your Master’s programme of study in 2017 and your PhD the following year in 2018, that you will not be eligible to apply for a Principal’s Career Development Scholarship in 2017. Principal’s awards cannot be held concurrently with fully-funded scholarships but can be held with partial awards such as the Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships.
How to apply?
The University will use the information you provide on your scholarship application form, together with the information contained in the supporting documentation (reference and academic transcript), which you submitted as part of your application for admission, to administer and assess your scholarship application and to select successful applicants.
In order to apply, register here.
For more information, please visit the official web-page.