Deadline: 15 January 2017
Open to: scholars who study different time periods and cities where socialist projects were either launched or collapsed in the 20th century
Costs: organisers will provide accommodation in Lviv; a limited number of travel grants available
- The conference invites proposals in all fields of the humanities and social sciences, and aims to bring into conversation scholars who focus on vastly different periods and locations of the socialist city’s past and present;
- Proposals include but are not limited to the following points of entry or exit:
- Late imperial and the early Soviet/Socialist period;
- The continuities and ruptures of 1939/40 and 1944/45 in the making of the “socialist bloc” and the “Soviet west”;
- The years of launching and leaving socialist projects in the Global South;
- 1989/91 as a major divide in socialism’s “before” and “after” as a state, a geopolitical actor, and a vision of the future.
The organisers will provide accommodation in Lviv. A limited number of travel grants will be available.
How to apply?
Please submit a brief CV (1-2 pages) and a paper proposal (paper title + 400 word abstract), no later than January 15, 2017 to email@example.com with the subject “Ins Outs of Socialism”. Your proposal should relate your topic to conference theme(s) and briefly discuss primary sources.
The conference language will be English. The conference selection committee will announce its selection of papers for the conference by February 15, 2017.
For more information please visit the official webpage.