Deadline: 24 October 2016
Open to: innovative research proposals, young scholars with demonstrable promise of excellence will be considered
Fellowship: senior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of EUR 2,500 and junior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of EUR 1,500 to help support their stay in Budapest.
The Fritz Thyssen Foundation and the Institute for Advanced Study at Central European University in Budapest (IAS CEU) are pleased to invite applications for Thyssen at IAS CEU junior and senior research fellowships for the academic year 2017/2018. Fellowships are available in all research areas of the social sciences and humanities. Fellowships run for the whole academic year (10 months, September 1- June 30) or for the Fall or Winter semesters (6 months, Sept 1 to Feb 28 or Jan 1 to June 30). Junior fellowships are renewable for another year in exceptional cases and only after an external review process.
Fellows are chosen by a rigorous selection process, which includes stages of pre-selection and peer reviews as well as a final decision jointly made by an independent, interdisciplinary and international Academic Advisory Board and the Fritz Thyssen Foundation. The Institute is committed to the pursuit of cutting edge interdisciplinary scholarship and will seek innovative research proposals. Young scholars with demonstrable promise of excellence will be considered; established senior scholars are expected to have solid records of first rate scholarship. A primary criterion for selection is the expectation that each fellow’s stay at the Institute will yield original and significant research results.
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent in the social sciences or humanities at the time of their application;
- Only those with publications in internationally recognized scholarly outlets are encouraged to apply;
- All nationalities are encouraged to apply for this type of fellowship. We have no thematic restrictions (other than expecting proposals in the social sciences and humanities only);
- Junior fellows must have a Ph.D. degree issued in 2009 or later. Candidates who obtained their Ph.D. before 2009 are considered “senior” and must apply for a senior fellowship;
- Full time CEU employees and students are not eligible to apply for 7 years after the ending of their studies/contract (degrees must be received and contracts must have ended by December 31, 2010 or earlier).
- Part time/temporary employees of CEU are not eligible for 3 years after their contract ended (their contract must have ended by December 31, 2013 or earlier);
- Former fellows of IAS CEU or former Collegium Budapest are not eligible to apply until a period of 7 years has passed since their previous fellowship. Applications may be considered only in exceptional cases;
- Applicants are expected to be able to communicate fluently in English as this is the working language of the Institute and CEU.
Senior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of EUR 2,500 and junior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of EUR 1,500 to help support their stay in Budapest. In addition, all fellows and their families receive housing at the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse Utilities at the Guesthouse will be charged to the fellows. Thyssen@IAS CEU fellows receive a travel allowance from their country of residence to Budapest and back but are responsible for their own health care provisions.
How to apply?
In order to apply please fill the online application.
You will have to submit the following the material:
- A completed online application form;
- A cover letter;
- The abstract of your research project (max. 150 words);
- The description of your research project (min. 1,000 – max. 2,500 words);
- A 10-15 page description of your research project, which includes a discussion on the state of your research (including references to publications if these exist already), research outline, theories and methods (including short bibliography), time schedule and work plan;
- A CV including a list of up to 5 (in case of junior applicants) and up to 15 (in the case of senior applicants) of your most important publications. . For junior applicants ONLY: Please include the name and email address of two referees (for potential reference).
For more information please read the official call.