Deadline: 11 November 2016
Open to: talented candidates with outstanding academic performances from Imperial College London, the UK and worldwide
Scholarships full funding for tuition fees, a stipend of £20,800 per annum, a consumables fund of £2,000 per annum for the first 3 years of study
If you are a high performing undergraduate or Master’s student and have a strong desire to undertake a PhD programme at a world class research institution, you could be selected to receive full tuition fees and a generous stipend for a PhD place at Imperial College London. The President’s PhD Scholarships aims to provide up to 50 research students with great potential the opportunity to work within their chosen research field with the support of an excellent supervisor.
Opportunities for PhD funding via this scheme are extremely competitive, with higher than usual eligibility requirements. Applicants should be confident that they are able to demonstrate outstanding academic performance before applying for this scholarship scheme. Previous successful recipients of the scholarship have ranked highly in their class, often achieving grades of 85% or higher in their degree(s).
The earliest start date for funded places is 1 August 2017, the latest start date is 1 November 2017.
- Applications are accepted from talented candidates from Imperial College London, the UK and worldwide. There are no restrictions on nationality;
- Candidates must be among the highest achievers in their undergraduate cohort, and in receipt of, or due to receive a first class UK degree or equivalent;
- Candidates with Master’s qualifications should have achieved a distinction or, where this has yet to have been achieved, be able to provide evidence of high performance that will lead to a distinction. They should also hold a first class UK undergraduate degree or equivalent;
- Candidates with degrees from overseas institutions are strongly urged to determine if their scores/grades are equivalent to the relevant eligibility criteria;
- Prior to applying candidates must have made contact with a supervisor in an academic department at Imperial College London who has agreed to supervise their research project. Please note that supervisors are limited to supervise one scholar at any time. Please review the President’s PhD Scholarships – Unavailable Supervisors page for more information. Please note: current registered Imperial PhD students are not eligible to be considered for a President’s PhD Scholarship. The scheme is only open to new PhD applications
Successful candidates will receive the following financial support for up to 3.5 years:
- Full funding for tuition fees;
- A stipend of £20,800 per annum to assist with living costs;
- A consumables fund of £2,000 per annum for the first 3 years of study;
- A programme of bespoke opportunities and events delivered by the Graduate School.
How to apply?
Application should submit their application for admission to study at Imperial through online admissions system until 11 November 2016 and their department will put they forward for the scholarship based on academic merit and potential.
- When prompted for a personal statement applicants must ensure that it consists of approx. 1000 words (maximum 2 pages) and outlines their academic and research achievements to date, explaining in brief their planned research project. The selection panel will not consider statements exceeding the 2 page limit. Applicants may submit updated versions of this statement if required following application submission.
- To be considered for the President’s PhD Scholarships, applicants must select this option in the funding section of the online application form.
- Applicants must also meet any additional application requirements stated by their department of choice.
For more information, please visit the official website.