Deadline: 31 May 2016
Open to: students from all countries interested in the field of physics and technology
Scholarship: the modalities of the payment follow the rules laid out by the Austrian Science Fund
The Vienna Doctoral Program (Doktoratskolleg) Particles and Interactions (DK-PI) is a research, education, and training oriented initiative supported by the Austrian Science Foundation (FWF). Its purpose is to provide a high profile international research environment for highly qualified PhD students, coupled with a thorough monitoring and advisory framework, and a broad educational system that includes introductory and specialized physics courses as well as soft skill courses.
The DK-PI offers research opportunities in the fields of:
- Physics and technology of particle detection in high energy particle collisions;
- Precision measurements at low and ultra-low energies to test the standard model;
- Precision experiments with antihydrogen for studies of CPT symmetry and antimatter gravity;
- Experimental studies on non-perturbative QCD with kaon and antiproton beams;
- Ultra-relativistic heavy-ion physics;
- The theory of strong and electroweak interactions at low and high energies and at high density or temperature;
- Neutrino and flavor physics;
- Standard Model and Beyond the Standard Model phenomenology;
- Supersymmetry and string theory;
- Quantum gravity and black hole physics;
- Dark matter physics.
- Students from all countries interested in the field of physics and technology;
- Becoming competitive participants in the international particle and nuclear physics research community;
- Able to start own successful career;
- Among equally qualified applicants women will receive preferential consideration.
The DK-PI offers doctoral study positions with full financial support on a 12-months-basis for up to 3 years. The modalities of the payment follow the rules laid out by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) (currently 1,996.90 EUR/month before tax, incl. health benefits).
In addition, the doctoral program provides support for:
- Travel to scientific work shops, schools and conferences;
- Research stays at various partner institutions around the globe;
- Soft skill training and language courses.
How to apply?
For more information, please visit the official website.