Course starts: ongoing
Open to: journalists, students and instructors who want to learn about solutions journalism
Benefits: free NewsU webinar, learn about defining, identifying, structuring, writing and incorporating journalism solutions
Poynter’s News University, in partnership with the Solutions Journalism Network, is offering the self-directed course “Solutions Journalism in Every Newsroom.” Solutions journalism offers rigorous and compelling coverage about responses to social problems — not simply reporting about a problem. One way to start with this approach is knowing where to look for solutions.
In a self-directed course, you can start and stop whenever you like, progressing entirely at your own pace and going back as many times as you want to review the material. This course will take 3-4 hours to complete.
This course is in beta phase. As a bonus, participants who complete a survey at the end of the course will receive a free NewsU webinar.
- Journalists who are considering incorporating solutions journalism into their reporting repertoires;
- Editors and managers who want to strengthen their staff’s skills at reporting solutions stories;
- Professors, teachers and students who want to incorporate solutions journalism into journalism education;
- Anyone who is interested in news being not only about problems but also about solutions.
What will you learn?
- How to define solutions journalism;
- How to identify and vet solutions journalism story ideas;
- How to structure a solutions story;
- How to write or produce solutions stories;
- How to incorporate solutions journalism into daily workflow and beat reporting.
How to enroll?
Registration is ongoing and the course can be taken at any time. You can enroll for this course HERE.
For more information please visit the official webpage.