Deadline: 15 February 2016
Open to: applicants with MA from Australia, China, Cuba, Egypt, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Mongolia, Namibia, Republic of Korea, Turkey, Ukraine, USA
Scholarship: a monthly allowance of EUR 1,500
The Finnish Government offers scholarships of 3-9 months for Doctoral level studies and research at Finnish universities or state research institutes. The Finnish Government Scholarship Pool programme is open to young researchers from all academic fields. The scholarship cannot be applied for Master’s level studies or post-Doctoral studies/research.
In order to be an eligible applicant for this scholarship, you must first successfully apply for a study/research placement at a Finnish university/public research institute – in other words, you must be at least provisionally accepted either as a visiting Doctoral-level student/researcher, or as a full-time Doctoral degree student. The Finnish Government Scholarship Pool programme application form is not an application for a study/research placement. It is merely an application for funding.
Only the nationals of the folowing countries can be considered eligible applicants in this scholarship programme.
- Republic of Korea;
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must:
- Have established contact with the Finnish receiving institution before applying;
- Have a letter of invitation from the academic supervisor in Finland; the invitation should also explain the commitment of the host institution to the project;
- Have earned a Master’s-level degree before applying;
- Intend to pursue post-Master’s level studies as a visiting student, participate in a research project or teach at a university or public research institute in Finland; priority will be given to doctoral studies;
- Not have spent already more than one year at a Finnish higher education institution immediately before the intended scholarship period in Finland;
- Be able to give proof of sufficient skills in speaking and writing the language needed in study/research.
The scholarship includes a monthly allowance of EUR 1,500. The allowance is sufficient for one person only. Expenses due to travel, international or in Finland, are not covered. Scholarship recipients are recommended to make arrangements for sufficient insurance coverage for their stay in Finland. This scholarship programme can not be applied to cover a whole Doctoral degree programme – if you are granted this scholarship, after the initial scholarship period you will need to look for other sources of funding for the remainder of your studies/research in Finland.
How to apply?
The annual deadline for the nomination of scholarship candidates by the national authorities is in mid-February (15 February 2016). Applications for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool funding should be made to the appropriate authority in the applicant’s country. The scholarship authorities in each country are invited to present applications for up to 10 candidates for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool. For information on the appropriate authority in your country, please see the listing of countries and authorities to contact.
To apply for the scholarship please fill in the application form. Applicants from the USA please refer to the instructions & application form on the Fulbright website. Following documents are required for an application:
- A completed and signed application form;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Copies of latest diplomas;
- Two letters of recommendation;
- Study/research plan (2-5 pages, including a statement of motivation, goals, work plan, work method, expected results);
- Invitation/expression of interest and motivation for cooperation from the hosting academic supervisor in Finland;
- Language certificate (Finnish, Swedish or English) or other indication of sufficient language skills.
For more information please visit the official website.