Deadline: 7 September 2015
Open to: non-professional filmmakers with minimum age 18 from all over the world
Prizes: 10-day all-expenses-paid trip in Colombia
Aspiring documentary makers can apply for a mentored trip to capture the culture and the communities of Colombia’s Pacific Coast. World Nomads is accepting applications for a travel documentary scholarship.
For this year’s application brief, World Nomads are looking to focus on profiles of people who inspire you to travel the world. Find and tell the story of someone’s journey. This could be anything from a story of immigration, a triumph of summiting of Mt. Everest or the traveller who keeps the travel spirit alive in their own backyard. Your challange is to go out and interview these amazing adventurers, courageous souls and regular people who inspire you to hit the road. Find out what they have done, where they have been, what kind of person they are, and why you find them interesting. Bring to life their compelling travel story and share their unique philosophies, quirky travel rituals and fascinating curiosities. Successful competitors will win a 10-day all-expenses-paid trip in Colombia to document the story of a Pacific community nestled in one of the world’s biodiversity hotspots.
All applicants should meet following conditions:
- Any non-professionals can apply – this is open to film students, or anyone who is trying to build a career in documentary style filmmaking;
- The scholarship is open to all nationalities; however, you must have an exceptionally high degree of proficiency in written English;
- Minimum age 18 (by application deadline);
- You must have a current, valid passport and you must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way;
- You may be a resident of any country (subject to obtaining a Colombian visa);
- You should be a keen amateur with a lust for adventure and burning desire to be a filmmaker;
- You must be fit and healthy as moderate levels of physical work are involved as well as a number of late nights.
The winners of the competition will win:
- A 10-day all-expenses-paid trip in Colombia;
- Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Bogotá, Colombia;
- 10-day professional mentorship from Brian Rapsey;
- Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads.
The scholarship recipient will be flown from their country of residence to Bogotá where they will spend 7 days filming in Colombia under the mentorship of filmmaker and director Brian Rapsey, then spend the final 3 days in a post-production workshop in Bogotá. In that time you will be producing a short 5-7 minute travel documentary, which we will share with the world.
How to apply?
The deadline for applications is 7 September 2015. To apply, simply:
- Film your documentary featuring the ‘Profile of a Person who Inspires you to Travel the World’. Your film should be no longer than 3-minutes and in English;
- Go to YouTube or Vimeo to upload your video;
- Complete your application form – write down what winning the scholarship would mean to you and why you should be chosen.