Deadline: 25 July 2015
Open to: journalists interested in investigative reporting from Albania, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Romania, Kosovo and Serbia
Venue: 23-29 August 2015, Duress, Albania
Described recently as “Europe at its best” by the New York Times, the beautiful Albanian Riviera is the BIRN Summer School destination for 2015. From 23- 29 August 2015 the Balkan Investigative Reporting Network will organise its sixth Summer School of Investigative reporting in Duress, Albania.
Another stellar cast of international and regional investigative journalists will soon be announced for this year’s Summer School. Lecturers at previous events have included Paul Lewis and Nick Davies from The Guardian, Pulitzer Prize winner Eric Nalder, and award-winning BBC TV documentary maker Meirion Jones. The line-up for this year will again include some of the most interesting names in journalism from around the world.
Participants in the school will be divided into groups to work on pitches for investigative ideas. The three best groups will be rewarded with financial support to pursue their research and will be guided by senior BIRN editors.
Topics that will be covered are:
- How to find and keep sources;
- Interviewing techniques;
- Computer-assisted reporting;
- How to use social media;
- How to ensure you’re safe both on and offline.
- Journalists from Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania and Serbia;
- At least three years of experience in journalism;
- Applicants must supply a sample of their published work translated into English;
- Mid-career journalists, young journalists interested in finding out more about investigative reporting techniques;
- Editors interested in encouraging investigative reporting in their media outlets;
- Representatives of higher education establishments interested in incorporating investigative journalism into their curriculum;
- International correspondents from the Balkans or elsewhere, interested in finding out about the challenges faced by their regional colleagues;
- Representatives of organizations involved in the fight against organized crime and corruption.
If International journalists are interested in applying for this Summer School, they can find more information HERE.
Full scholarships are available to exceptional candidates from the Balkan region. The scholarships will cover the tuition fee that includes all materials, accommodation and all meals. These scholarships will be awarded on a merit and need basis and may additionally cover up to EUR 100 in travel cost.
- Completed application form;
- Letter of motivation;
- Sample of work.
Deadline for applying is 25 July 2015.
If you ahve any questions about BIRN Summer School, application process and scholarship opportunities, contact Jelena Cosic email@example.com
For more information please visit the official website.