Deadline: 31 July 2015
Open to: lesbian, trans and LGBTQI groups and organisations that promote racial, economic and gender justice
Grant: flexible grants ranging from $5,000 to $30,000 per year
Astraea supports lesbian, trans and LGBTQI groups that promote racial, economic and gender justice and mobilize communities to challenge oppression and claim rights. Astraea’s International Fund for Sexual Minorities supports groups, projects, or organizations working towards progressive social change which are led by lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex (LGBTQI) communities and directly address oppression based on sexual orientation and/or gender identity/expression. Astraea prioritize funding to groups that:
- Led by and targeted to lesbian/bisexual/queer women;
- Led by and targeted to transgender and/or intersex people;
- Led by and for LGBTQI communities that are historically marginalized and under-resourced within LGBTQI communities (e.g. youth, elders, ethnic minorities, migrants/refugees, low-income people, people with disabilities, sex workers, etc.);
- Have active participation and leadership from the communities most affected by issues that the group works on;
- Are inclusive and reflect the diversity of the geographic region in which they do their work;
- Show an understanding of the connections amongst different oppressions facing LGBTQI people, and have a commitment to address other forms of oppression such as oppression based on class, race, ethnicity, age, physical and mental ability, gender, national identity, and religious affiliation;
- Develop leadership and build communities’ capacity to achieve social change, particularly through proposals that strengthen an organization’s ability to organize. Organizing may be defined as activities that actively engage people affected by societal problems in the process of identifying and pursuing solutions;
- Works in alliance and/or builds coalition with other justice movement organizations (e.g. sex worker rights, human rights, etc.);
- Have organizational structures and practices in place that reflect social justice principles;
- Groups that are based in countries/locations that do not yet have significant LGBTQI resources;
- Have limited access to traditional sources of funding.
Groups that are eligible to apply must meet all 5 of the following criteria:
- Based in Africa, Asia/the Pacific, Eastern Europe/Commonwealth of Independent States, Latin America/the Caribbean, or the Middle East;
- Led by and/or for LGBTQI communities. Non-LGBTI-led groups must demonstrate how they address LGBTI human rights issues and how they involve LGBTI’s in organizational and programmatic decision-making;
- Doing work towards long-term social change, on issues affecting LGBTQI people and/or people who are penalized, persecuted or harassed for their gender identity, gender expression, and/or sexual orientation;
- Non-governmental organizations, not-for-profit groups, or the equivalent, with organizational budgets of $500,000 USD or less;
- Groups that have been active for at least one year at the time you send in your proposal. A group which has been active for less than one year may apply if you demonstrate your group’s ability to sustain activities over the long-term and illustrate how a grant would help you to build your organization’s capabilities.
Astraea strengthens LGBTQI groups by providing flexible general support grants ranging from $5,000 to $30,000 per year.
How to apply?
Astraea makes grants in its International Fund in two cycles per year. To be considered for December 2015 cycle, submit a LOI by 31 July 2015.
For more information please follow the official website.