Deadline: 10 December 2013 at midnight GMT +1
Open to: candidates with a Master’s degree or higher in the field of development, plus fluent French and English skills
Remuneration: not specified
The ONE Campaign is a campaign organization and advocacy supported by more than 3.5 million people worldwide who act to end extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. They hold leaders accountable for their promises towards the poorest and they push to develop better policies to make development assistance more effective and create fairer trade. They also work with African leaders for greater democracy, accountability and transparency in order that resources can be better used. ONE has offices in Berlin, Brussels, Johannesburg, London, New York, Paris and Washington.
ONE is currently seeking an advocacy coordinator with extensive experience who will join their small team in Paris, France. He/she will work closely with the Director of ONE France and other team members as well as the France advocacy team at the European and international levels. He/she will provide policy analysis and write notes on the issues of French and European development policies work. He/she will also support the implementation of ONE’s strategy in France in close collaboration with state and non-state actors.
The place of work will be in Paris, France. National or international travel may be required.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct research and produce policy analysis on development issues, including the following topics: official development assistance (including debt relief and ODA budgets French and European) financial transparency and the fight against corruption, innovative financing for development, health, food security, climate and aid effectiveness
- Support the Director in the implementation of the advocacy strategy in France. Being a stakeholder in French networks linked to development policies and develop/maintain relationships in this field with the government, parliamentarians, NGOs and think tanks. Represent ONE at meetings and conferences relevant to their subjects as required
- Keep the French ONE team informed of French political changes. Explain the French perspective during discussions with the latter, and ensure that international policy positions ONE are compatible with the market and/or the French public. Help identify and use opportunities to develop policy positions on development issues. Follow the news and publication of relevant reports in France and keep the international team informed.
- Prepare the positions taken by the organization in key areas of policy development in France.
- Support the media work, advocacy and campaign team ONE France through analysis and writing articles, blogs or technical notes
- Contribute to the reporting of ONE in France and internationally by providing a French specific analysis, drafting sections of the report, coordinating the translation and the production process in France
- Contribute to the development of new subjects in ONE, as a member of the advocacy team at international level
- Any other task requested
Only candidates with the right to work in France will be considered. Candidates should possess the following knowledge, skills and experience:
- Master or higher, preferably in a field related to development
- Work experience in the field of development and good knowledge of development issues, particularly in Africa, as well as French and European policies and procedures development;
- Understanding of the links between advocacy, policy and legislative processes and implementation of development programs;
- Excellent research capabilities, writing and analytical skills, ability to find and highlight the highlights and statistics to explain complex political issues to a wide audience;
- Ability to synthesize position papers highlighting the key points and their relevance to the organization;
- Ability to work in a team in an international and multicultural environment;
- Ability to manage priorities and a heavy workload in a rapidly changing environment, very good organization be multitasking
- An excellent command of French and English, both written and oral, is essential
The salary is not specified on the official website for this position.
The deadline for applications is Friday 10 December 2013 at 24:00 GMT +1. To submit an application, please send a cover letter and CV in English and French to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating in the subject “Advocacy Officer France.”
Please ensure that your letter clearly shows how your knowledge, skills and experience match those requested in the job description.
ONE thanks all candidates for their interest. They are able to make contact with those who have been shortlisted. If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks of the closing date, then your application has not been accepted.