Deadline: 10 December 2013 for Category A; 10 January 2014 for Category B
Open to: Bachelor or Master degree’s holders with excellent grades in the field of tourism, economics, business administration, geography or other related fields in the social sciences and humanities
Scholarship: tuition fee and 32,000€ for Category A; tuition fee and 15,000€ for Category B
The Erasmus Mundus European Master in Tourism Management (EMTM) is a two-year world-class integrated programme aimed at qualifying graduates to deal with the huge challenges in contemporary tourism.
The EMTM is a fully integrated two-year joint European programme promoted and tailor-made by three university partners: The University of Girona (Spain), known for its research and pursuit of teaching excellence in tourism product innovation and destination management; the University of Southern Denmark (Denmark), internationally recognized for its research and education in the field of sustainable tourism development; and the University of Ljubljana (Slovenia), renowned for its excellence in tourism policy design and tourism environmental management and economics. The medium of instruction is English.
Students follow a mandatory mobility scheme, starting the first semester in Kolding, Denmark, where they are introduced, at an advanced level, to the conceptualization of tourism development with particular attention to sustainability, strategic communication and economics. Moving next to Ljubljana, Slovenia, for the second semester, students learn about policy instruments, indicators and management tools available for tourism policy and strategy design, with emphasis on environmental issues in tourism development. Spending the third semester in Girona, Spain, students become competent in effectively implementing tourism with particular emphasis on the effective management of organizational networks, consumers, innovation processes and new tourism products. The fourth semester is exclusively devoted to the completion of the Master thesis. After a successful and timely completion of all four semesters, students are awarded a joint diploma (degree) of Master of Science in Tourism Management.
There are two types of Erasmus Mundus scholarships, Category A and Category B scholarships. It should be noted that the Category A scholarships are considered as “full scholarships” covering all necessary costs incurred by the student during his/her study period in Europe, Category B scholarships are considered as a “financial contribution” to the student´s costs while following his/her EMTM studies.
Erasmus Mundus Category A scholarship are awarded to students selected by the EMTM consortium who are nationals of a third country (all countries outside the 28 EU Member States, Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland) and who are not residents nor have carried out their main activity (studies, training or work) for more than 12 non-consecutive months over the last 5 years in one of the 28 EU Member States, Liechtenstein, Norway or Iceland. Students from Switzerland, Western Balkan and Turkey are eligible for Category A.
Erasmus Mundus Category B scholarship are awarded to students selected by the EMTM consortium who are nationals of one of the 28 European Member States, Liechtenstein, Norway or Iceland, and to third-country students who are residents or have carried out their main activity (studies, training or work) for more than 12 non-consecutive months over the last 5 years in one of the 28 EU Member States, Liechtenstein, Norway or Iceland.
Selection criteria for ALL applicants:
- Completed university Bachelor or Master degree/s (=180 ECTS credit points or more) in the field of: tourism, economics, business administration, geography or other related fields in the social sciences and humanities.
- Excellence on obtaining the university degree/s (the average grades must be A or B, minimum 70%).
- English language proficiency proved by TOEFL (Official / Institutional tests are not accepted) with at least 230 points (computer based) / 575 points (Paper-based test) / 88 points (Internet-based Test), IELTS (Academic) at grade minimum 6.5 or Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) with minimum level C.
Erasmus Mundus Category A scholarship:
- 1,000€ per month for two years (24,000€)
- Tuition fees which are paid by the EU to the EMTM coordinating institution
- 8,000€ for mobility
Erasmus Mundus Category B scholarship:
- 500€ per month for two years (12,000€)
- Tuition fees which are paid by the EU to the EMTM coordinating institution.
- 3,000€ for mobility (only in case the Cat B grantee spends his/her 4th semester at an associate university partner of EMTM)
Application process for candidates for the Erasmus Mundus European Master in Tourism Management 2014-2016 who also apply for an Erasmus Mundus scholarship:
- On-line application HERE for non-EU candidates applying for the EMTM programme, edition 2014-2016, and for an Erasmus Mundus Category A scholarship. Applications can be submitted till 10 December 2013 (18:00 GMT +1).
- On-line application HERE for EU candidates (plus Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland) applying for the EMTM programme, edition 2014-2016, and for an Erasmus Mundus Category B scholarship. Applications can be submitted till 10 January 2014 (18:00 GMT +1).