Deadline: 27 May 2013
Open to: candidates possessing a Master’s degree with no age or citizenship limitation
Scholarship: 13.638,47 Euros per year
Ca’ Foscari University of Venice announces 10 PhD positions (6 with scholarship) in Computer Science. The Doctoral programme in Computer Science trains scholars to design, develop and lead academic and industrial research projects. It provides students with the formal background and tools needed to perform research in a rigorous way, and with the methodologies for the design and evaluation of IT systems and applications.
The programme is three years long in a context where all the graduate programmes (Master and PhD) are taught in English.
PhD students will have the opportunity to do their work inside well-established research centres:
- ACADIA (AdvanCes in Autonomous, DIstributed and pervAsive systems)
- KIIS (Knowledge, Interaction and Intelligent Systems)
Moreover, new research projects will soon start with the recently founded joint research centre DHV (Digital Humanities Venice), in collaboration with the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne and Telecom Italia.
Two of the six scholarships are bound to specific research projects:
- Classification models for non-vectorial data (KIIS centre)
- Energy-aware software architectures: modelling and analysis (ACADIA centre)
For people who obtain a scholarship, no fee is requested. The amount of the PhD scholarship is 13.638,47 Euros per year, before social security taxes payable by the scholarship holder. The PhD scholarship is exempt of local and personal income charges.
The PhD scholarship lasts one year and is renewed annually for the whole duration of the PhD course on the condition that the PhD student has completed the program of activities provided from year to year, verified by the Teaching Board. The amount of the PhD scholarship increases up to 50% for any periods spent abroad. The PhD scholarship is paid in twelve monthly amounts.
All candidates possessing the following requirements can submit their application without age or citizenship limitations:
- “Laurea Specialistica” or “laurea magistrale” (the second cycle degree achievable in Italy since 1999 after completing five years (or more) of university studies);
- or an Italian degree obtained before Ministerial Decree 509/1999 (Laurea vecchio ordinamento);
- or, second-level university qualifications granted by institutions member of the AFAM (Alta Formazione Artistica e Musicale, “Advanced Artistic and Musical Training”);
- or an academic qualification obtained abroad, comparable in terms of duration, level and discipline field to the Italian qualification granting admission to the PhD Program; it will be recognised as suitable for the admission to selection process, according to what indicated in the following art. 4
More information about the eligibility requirements is available HERE.
Application deadline is 27th May 2013 – at 12:00 pm (CEST). You must first register online HERE before you may access the application website.
Candidates must present the following mandatory qualifications for admission to all the PhD Programmes of the current call:
- Curriculum vitae et studiorum (European format see HERE for example);
- PhD proposal research: information for the draft of the proposal are announced on page: http://www.unive.it/graduateschool > PhD > Call for applications;
- abstract of the thesis (about 10.000 characters including spaces) and list of the exams taken and grades (transcript);
- 2 reference letters from academic teachers, scientific researchers or other specialists of the field, edited according to the model downloadable HERE