Deadline: 28 March 2013
Open to: young people in Macedonia
Benefits: community cohesion, personal and social development of young people, increased dialogue among youth and youth workers
The Center for Youth Activism KRIK (Skopje) is looking for volunteer Youth Workers to help develop and administer a street-based youth work provision. The provision implementation will occur over the period of April- September 2013 with plans for continuation. The work position is part of the activities of Center for Youth Activism KRIK in Skopje and applicants MUST BE IN SKOPJE.
Street-based youth work is a type of youth work practice, that’s aimed primarily at young people, which takes place on young people’s own territory such as streets, cafes, parks and pubs at times that are appropriate to them and on their terms. It is traditionally used to engage young people who may not access youth work provisions such as youth clubs.
It is led by young people and is concerned with their personal and social development. It is mostly characterised by purposeful interaction between youth workers and young people and utilises a range of youth and community work methods.
The benefits of street-based work are:
- Community cohesion
- Engaging young people
- Increased dialogue between young people and local youth workers
- Personal and social development of young people
As a street based youth worker some of the activities you can expect to engage in are:
- Street sports
- Advice and information
- Training and qualifications
- Able to work flexible hours and sometimes on weekends.
- Able to work individually and in team.
- Available to start the position in immediately.
- Understanding and sensitivity to cultural differences and ability to work in an international and intercultural environment.
- Motivated attitude with an ability to motivate others to be active and participatory.
- Fluent in written and spoken Macedonian
- Excellent communication skills (especially active listening), empathy and tolerance.
A presentation on how street-based youth work is carried out, such as logistics and a general overview will be held for those interested. If you are interested please let us know you are interested by emailing email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Then more details will be provided and confirmed.
For more information, see the KRIK Facebook page HERE.