Deadline: 8 April 2013
Open to: young academics (PhD students and postdocs) from the humanities, the cultural, and the social sciences
Fellowship: travel expenses; accomodation in the host country; weekly allowance of € 350.00
The Goethe-Institut and the Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities (KWI) are pleased to announce the annual call for applications for the program “Scholars in Residence”. Young international researchers in the humanities, cultural and social
sciences are invited to apply.
Scholars in Residence is a residency program for young academic researchers that promotes the exchange of scholarly research and provides guest residencies for researchers in the humanities, cultural studies and social sciences to visit their colleagues in Germany and abroad. Young scholars are given the opportunity to forge intensive relationships with other researchers, to pursue joint projects and to develop long-term bilateral collaborations within an international context. The program partners a foreign scholar and German scholar who focus on projects that bear upon the program’s annual research themes. Within the focal subject matter, one academic from abroad and one German academic will form a duo team.
- Travel expenses: All participants will be reimbursed for round-trip tickets to the host country
- Accommodation in the host country
- daily allowance of € 350.00 per week Living expenses, public transport and health insurance are paid for by the participants. Should you require assistance in filing for health insurance, the Goethe-Institut will be happy to assist you.
Residency in the host country lasts between six and eight weeks. The scholar from abroad will travel to Germany as of October 15, 2013, the German scholar will travel to his/her partner’s country as of January 1, 2014.
Participation Requirements: In the host country, you will be expected to:
- give a lecture on your chosen topic and participate in research seminars, conferences and/or attend workshops
- forge relationships with colleagues in your area of research and get to know the research community
- publicize your research
- serve as a contact person
In your home country, you will be expected to:
- assume responsibility for your partner and introduce him/her to the research community in your country through a program you have organized
- as a foreign participant, you should stay in contact with the local Goethe-Institut and be available as a contact person for consultation on projects
- Register free of charge in the Alumni-Portal Deutschland, which gives you the opportunity to save a list of your skills and contacts, add to them as necessary, and use them for your personal and professional development.
The call for applications addresses young academics from the humanities, the cultural, and the social sciences. You can apply individually or already submit a partner application (German applicant and overseas applicant).
- PhD students and Postdocs
- Fluency in English (German is not required for participation)
The application deadline is 8 April 2013. Please apply only using their online application HERE.You must submit the following required documents in English or German:
- Curriculum Vitae and list of publications (doc, docx or pdf file)
- Passport photograph (jpg or gif file)
- Three-page abstract of (doc, docx or pdf file)
- your research project related to one of the program’s research themes
- the relevance of your research project to the public
- your openness to intercultural dialogue, international research exchange and interest in interdisciplinary issues
- Brief letter explaining your motivation for a guest residency and your interest in the academic sphere in the host country as well as potential requests for contacts with young academics in the host country (doc, docx or pdf file).
For questions, contact Jennifer Endro from the Goethe-Institut at firstname.lastname@example.org or Apl. Prof. Dr. Friedrich Jaeger from the Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities at email@example.com.
See the official website HERE for more information.