Deadline: 20 January, 2013
Open to: Active young people with excellent skills in writing (in English) and editing and experience with sustainable development in various contexts
Benefits: Authors and editor will receive fees for their work and they are to attend preparatory and final editorial meetings for which all costs will be covered by the EU-CoE youth partnership. Additionally there are other benefits.
The Partnership Agreement between the European Commission and the Council of Europe in the field of youth has developed a series of well-known “Training-Kits”. These thematic publications written by experienced trainers in the field of youth are easy-to-use handbooks for use, in particular in training activities and study sessions.
The new T-Kit (issue 13) will focus on youth work and sustainable development. The Partnership is looking for 3 authors and 1 editor to form the core of the team that will write the T-Kit under the supervision of the EU-CoE youth partnership secretariat.
T-Kit on Youth Work and Sustainable Development
The T-Kit will be a tool to support youth workers and youth leaders in developing, planning, implementing and evaluating high quality projects and activities for, with and by young people in the field of sustainable development. This T-Kit will build on recent years’ development in the field of youth which highlighted an increasing interdependence of youth work related actions and activities
with sustainable development, and therefore implicitly with – among other issues – global citizenship, freedom, peace, and security, i.e.: human rights. Global youth work became a strong and powerful force in encouraging, supporting and empowering numerous young people to take an active role in sustainable development projects, and to develop critical thinking attitudes and skills in order to respond to nowadays challenges faced by youth all around the world. Sustainable development can’t be seen only from a European perspective but rather ought to consider its interdependence with global issues.
Required Qualifications and Experience
The authors and the editor should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Excellent knowledge of various approaches and techniques in sustainable development educational activities and projects;
- Experience of working with sustainable development in various contexts;
- Experience in youth work and sustainable development at local, regional, national or international level;
- Experience in youth education and training on sustainable development;
- Prior Experience in writing for publications and ability to write comprehensively for a training material;
- Excellent English writing skills.
- Successful applicants will be offered contracts commensurate with their contribution (i.e. number of pages or chapters of the T-kit). For information, authors usually receive a fee of 80 Euros/page
- The editor will receive additional fees to coordinate the editorial team and the production of the T-Kit (i.e. manage the writing process, amend and rewrite texts, etc.). These fees will amount to six working days at a senior trainer’s rate (250 Euros/day).
- Moreover, authors will receive daily fees for their participation in the preparatory meeting and in the final editorial meeting (250 Euros/day).
- All expenses relevant to the preparatory and final editorial meetings (travel, board and lodging) will be covered by the EU-CoE youth partnership.
- There will be an administrative allowance per author (copying, phone, etc).
Please send the following documents to the EU-CoE youth partnership secretariat no later than 20 January 2013, 23:59 CET:
- A letter of motivation in English (no more than 1 page), stating which position you are applying for (author or editor), underlining the reasons why you want to be a member of the editorial team of this T-Kit and the specific expertise you feel you have that qualifies you for this position;
- An updated CV (2 pages maximum)
- A short (max 3 pages) sample of previous written material in English.
Applications may be sent by e-mail to:
Viktoria Karpatska (Viktoria.Karpatska@partnership-eu.coe.int)
Partnership between the European Commission and the Council of Europe in the field of youth
Deadline for receipt of applications: 20 January 2013
The selected authors will be informed of the decision by the EU-CoE youth partnership secretariat by 31 January 2013.
For more information please check the official open call.