Deadline: 1 October 2011
Open to: All reporters (print, online & broadcast), freelancers and bloggers
Awards: Winner will visit the beautiful Mediterranean Region where he or she is free to explore the culture, food, and atmosphere of the location freely, with no expectations or assignments.
Back in 1990, food enthusiast and advocate K. Dun Gifford started a nonprofit educational organization called Oldways to change the way people eat. Gifford invited others intrigued by his vision – scientists, chefs, restaurateurs, cookbook authors, and journalists — to join him at the Oldways Table to address this important challenge. As a tribute to the founder and visionary who died in May 2010, Oldways announces the K. Dun Gifford Journalism Award, an annual prize to recognize and honor the important role of communications in changing the way people eat.
- The competition is open to all reporters (print, online & broadcast), freelancers and bloggers.
- Each journalist may submit one (1) piece reflecting the designated subject (i.e., Mediterranean Diet in 2011).
To be eligible for consideration, pieces must meet these criteria:
- Must be well-written / well-produced.
- Must have been published or aired during the period from January 1, 2010 through September 30, 2011.
- Must be related to this year’s selected subject matter. The inaugural 2011 K. Dun Gifford Journalism Award will celebrate the Mediterranean Diet. Each year our subject matter will rotate to cover a topic we feel passionately about: Mediterranean Diet, Asian Diet, Latino Foods, Whole Grains, Pasta, Cheese, etc.
- Must reflect one or more of Oldways’ founding principles: to be positive, practical, science-based, and tradition-based.
- Must celebrate the pleasures of the table.
The 2011 winner will visit the beautiful Mediterranean Region where he or she is free to explore the culture, food, and atmosphere of the location freely, with no expectations or assignments. The Prize is a fully paid, week trip to a location reflected in that year’s subject and designated at the sole discretion of Oldways. For the inaugural 2011 contest focused on the Mediterranean Diet, the winner will receive a trip (including coach airfare, accommodations, local transportation and a daily stipend to cover meals) to the Mediterranean region.
Winner will be announced in December 2011. A judging jury including Mimi Sheraton, Judith Weinraub, Apple Gifford, David Rosengarten and Sara Baer-Sinnott, President, Oldways, will select the winning entry based on criteria above.The judges’ decision is final.
How to apply
Entries shall be labeled with name of article/segment, journalist’s name, affiliation, phone, email address, and street address. Broadcast entires should be submitted via CD or email.
Send entries by mail or email to:
mail: K. Dun Gifford Journalism Award, c/o Oldways, 266 Beacon St, Boston, MA 02116
For more information, please contact Rachel Greenstein, email@example.com, 617-896-4888.