Deadline: 15 April 2011
Open to: nationals of countries (see below)
Scholarship: tuition, housing, a living expenses stipend, and an international travel stipend
Call for applications for foreigners for Hungarian state scholarships to conduct studies or research in Hungarian institutions of higher education and research in the academic year of 2011-2012 and for summer university courses in the summer of 2011.
Through the Hungarian Scholarship Board Office, the Hungarian Minister of National Resources offers scholarships for foreign students and professors of higher education institutions as well as research fellows who intend to gain further professional experience in Hungarian institutions of higher education or research. Scholarships can be applied for under two systems:
- Bilateral Agreements (Countries whose citizens may apply only on the basis of bilateral agreements: Afghanistan, Mongolia, Palestine, Yemen and Vietnam)
- Scholarship Pool – scholarship system of various types of scholarships, allowing for applications from the following countries/territories: Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Colombia, Cyprus, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland,France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Korean Republic, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania,Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, The Netherlands, Norway, The Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Romania, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom
The following scholarships are available in the academic year 2011/2012:
A. – semester/partial studies (3-10 months) – Can be applied for by: undergraduate (BA/BSc) and graduate (MA/MSc) students, especially those majoring in Hungarian Language and Literature, as well as graduating students working on their theses, and students enrolled in „single track” university programmes (such as General Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacology, Veterinary Studies, Architecture and Jurisprudence).
B. – postgraduate studies, research (3-21 days or 1-10 months) – Can be applied for by: applicants holding a Master’s degree or an equivalent university degree, including PhD students who intend to do research for their dissertation, yet wish to stay in Hungary for less than 12 months.
C/1. – full PhD programme (36 months) – Only students proficient in Hungarian can apply.
C/2. – partial PhD studies (12 months) – Applicants must be enrolled in a PhD programme at an accredited institution of higher education in his/her home country or in a foreign country (but not in Hungary).
D. – postdoctoral studies, research (1-10 months) – Applicants must have a PhD or an equivalent degree.
E. – research stay (3-21 days or 1-10 months) – For associate or higher ranking professors or for researchers holding minimum a PhD or an equivalent degree.
F. – summer courses in the summer of 2011 (1-4 weeks) – Courses must be chosen only from the list of Summer Courses 2011 published on the HSB website. You can select three different courses but your scholarship will allow you to participate only in one course.
The list of partner scholarship offices, the list of summer university courses as well as other information can be found on the HSB website. Scholarships are awarded by the Minister of National Resources of the Republic of Hungary based on the decision of the Hungarian Scholarship Board. The list of the successful applicants will be published on the HSB website at the end of June 2011. The list of accepted candidates for the summer university courses will be published at the beginning of June 2011. Each applicant will be informed on the result in an official letter or via email.
Cases of Non-Eligibility
- Foreign citizens with a residence permit or in the course of applying for a residence permit in Hungary cannot apply.
- Men and women, who have an employment contract or employment relationship as defined by the law in Hungary cannot apply
- Students applying for part-time or correspondence study programmes cannot apply.
- Students applying for non state-financed universities cannot apply.
- Students admitted to tuition fee-paying institutions of higher education cannot apply.
Age Limits for Applicants
- 30 years for scholarships for semester studies (A)
- 40 years for scholarships for postgraduate studies (B)
- 35 years for scholarship for PhD scholarships (C1/C2)
- 45 years for postdoctoral scholarships (D)
Applications must be submitted in two ways:
1. ONLINE on the HSB website (the guide on the online application is here.)
2. Two printed/hard copies posted to the HSB Office
Only those applications will be considered that the Hungarian Scholarship Board Office receives electronically as well as in printed format by 15th April 2011. For more information about documents to submitted visit official website.
A. – semester/partial studies (3-10 months)– HUF 40 460 stipend per month, paid by the host institution, and student hostel accommodation in a university residence hall paid by the scholarship-holder
B. – postgraduate studies, research (3-21 days or 1-10 months) – HUF 79 200 stipend per month and HUF 70 000 accommodation allowance per month,for scholarships 21 days or shorter, accommodation allowance and a stipend of HUF 3000/day.
C/1. – full PhD programme (36 months) -HUF 93 000 per month, paid by the host institution, and student hostel accommodation in a university residence hall paid by the scholarship-holder 7
C/2. – partial PhD studies (12 months) – HUF 93 000 per month, paid by the host institution, and student hostel accommodation in a university residence hall paid by the scholarship-holder.8
D. – postdoctoral studies,research (1-10 months) – HUF 118 800 per month and HUF 80 000 accommodation allowance per month, paid by the HSB Office.
E. – research stay (3-21 days or 1-10 months) – HUF 118 800 per month, and HUF 80 000 accommodation allowance per month,for scholarships lasting 21 days or shorter, accommodation allowance and a stipend of HUF 3000/day.These amounts are paid by the HSB Office.
F. – summer courses in 2011 (1-4 weeks) – Tuition-free courses, free accommodation and meals.
Scholarships of the HSB cannot be awarded concurrently with other scholarships. If a scholarship-holder has another scholarship or other financial support (salary) he has to turn down the HSB scholarship. The scholarship is meant to cover the living expenses of one person only, so there is no available financing or visa exemption for accompanying members of the family or any other persons. Neither visa related fees nor any other costs related to the grantee’s stay in Hungary shall be compensated for.
Travel expenses to Hungary, within Hungary and back to the country of origin are not covered by the Hungarian Scholarship Board.