Deadline: 16 January 2011
Open to: holders of B. Sc. degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related programme
Scholarship: for European students: € 6000; for Non-European students: € 16000
The European Master’s Course in Embedded Computing Systems (EMECS) is designed to educate Bachelor graduates from Electrical & Computer Engineering and Computer Science as well as graduates from related disciplines to become experts in the field of Embedded Computing Systems. The participating institutions are:
- University of Kaiserslautern (TUK), Kaiserslautern, Germany: Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway: Faculty of Information Technology Mathematics and Electrical Engineering
- University of Southampton (UoS), Southampton, United Kingdom: School of Electronics and Computer Science
EMECS is a two-years master’s program. A total of 120 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulations System) credit points must be aquired. The curriculum consists of a core program (Embedded System Hardware Architectures, System Software, System-on-Chip (SoC) Design Methodology), an elective program (Advanced Topics in Embedded Systems, Communication & Signal Processing, Automation & Control, Microsystems) and a Master’s Thesis. The core program covers the fundamentals of Embedded Computing Systems and offers an equivalent education in all three institutions. The elective program reflects the specific profiles of the participating partner universities and their associated research institutes.
* The applicant must hold at least a B.Sc. degree (or equivalent) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related programme. At the time of application preliminary transcripts are accepted.
* The grade average of the previous study should prove high qualification of the applicant. This will normally be the case for a grade average of ‘B’ or better in terms of the ECTS grading scale.
* Applicants need to prove that they have sufficient fluency in English. A TOEFL test with at least a score of 600 paper-based/250 computer-based/100 internet-based or an Academic IELTS score of at least 6.5 overall and with 6 in writing is required. The TOEFL code number of the University of Kaiserslautern is 7967.
* Taking the GRE test is recommended (but not mandatory). The GRE code number of the University of Kaiserslautern is 7143.
* The applicant must show that he/she is well motivated for the Embedded Computing Systems programme by writing a short letter of motivation.
* The application must be supported by two letters of recommendation.
If you are a non-EU student (Category A Scholarship):
* Contribution to travel, installation and any other type of costs: € 4000 per year
* Full coverage of the EMECS participation costs (tuition): € 4000 / semester
* Monthly allowance: € 1000 / month
If you are an EU student (Category B Scholarship):
* Full coverage of the EMECS participation costs (tuition): € 1500 / semester
* Monthly allowance: € 500 / month
In order to apply for EMECS you need to create an account on the online application platform. On the application platform you can also apply for an Erasmus Mundus Scholarship. No separate scholarship application is needed.
Application Deadline is 16 January 2011.