Deadline: 10 June 2022
Open to: applicants must attend a university in mainland China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore, or Taiwan.
Benefits: awards of $10,000 USD
The Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship is a global program that identifies and empowers the next generation of exceptional computing research talent. Microsoft recognizes the value of diversity in computing and aims to increase the pipeline of talent receiving advanced degrees in computing-related fields to build a stronger and inclusive computing-related research community. We currently offer PhD fellowships in Asia-Pacific, Canada and the United States, EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa), Latin America, Australia and New Zealand.
Over the last two decades, the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship program has supported over 700 fellows around the world, many of whom have gone on to work at Microsoft. Others have gone on to perform pioneering research elsewhere within the technology industry or accept faculty appointments at leading universities.
The details of the fellowship program vary by region. Please see your region tab for details and instructions, as well as the FAQ for answers to common questions.
See your region for details, instructions, and answers to common questions.
They are always looking for the best and brightest talent and celebrate individuality. We invite and encourage candidates to come as they are and do what they love.
- Applicants must attend a university in mainland China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore, or Taiwan, and do research work that relates to computing topics in which Microsoft Research is concerned with (click on Research Areas at the top of the page for a full list).
- According to the definition of the normative period of PhD programs of the applicant’s university and region, the applicant must graduate in 2024 or later. The applicants and their advisors will be asked for supporting documents, if needed.
- The Microsoft Research Asia Fellowship Committee has final determination of the interpretation of the above clauses.
The Microsoft Research Asia Fellowship Program offers some of the industry’s most competitive incentives and rewards, including:
- Cash awards of $10,000 USD, which can be used to support research initiatives and academic endeavors including, but not limited to: attending international research conferences/events, and subsidizing paper and patent application fees.
- Opportunity for intensive and individualized mentorship programs with a dedicated senior researcher, to help facilitate the fellow’s research until graduation.
- Opportunity to attend the Microsoft Research Asia Academic Conference.
- At the discretion of Microsoft Research Asia, advisors of fellows might be invited to participate in collaborative research projects and academic exchange events.
How to apply?
The Microsoft Research Asia Fellowship application period closed on Wednesday, June 10, 2022 at 11:59 PM Beijing Time.
- PhD students must apply directly for the scholarship.
- Applications must include:
- An application form (download template here)
- Curriculum vitae
- Research Statement. This statement (of approximately 1,000 words) provides a summary of your research accomplishments and current work, and highlight your most outstanding contribution to the academia. It must discuss the future direction and potential of your work, especially your research plan for the next few years of PhD study.
- At least two letters of reference from established researchers familiar with your research. Of these, one letter should come from your advisor. Scanned copies of the signed recommendation letters should be sent, by those recommending you, directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications must be submitted via the online application tool in any of the following formats: Word document, text-only file, PDF or ZIP. Email or hard copy applications will not be considered.
- Applications submitted to Microsoft will not be returned. Microsoft cannot assume responsibility for the confidentiality of information in submitted applications. Therefore, applications should not contain information that is confidential, restricted, or sensitive.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Due to the volume of submissions, Microsoft Research Asia cannot provide individual feedback on applications that do not receive fellowship awards.
For more information please visit the official website.