Deadline: 14 April 2021
Open to: nationals of developing countries with a PhD, at the beginning of their careers, but already have some research experience. They must hold a position at a university or research institution in one of the S&TLCs and be under 45 years of age.
Benefits: the Research Grants to individual scientists amount to a maximum of USD 15.000
Applications are open for the TWAS Research Grants Program in Basic Sciences 2021. The TWAS Research Grants was established in response to the needs of researchers in developing countries, particularly those attached to institutions that lack appropriate research facilities.
Under this scheme, grants can be awarded for research projects in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics either to individual young researchers, or to research units in the science-and-technology-lagging countries (S&TLC) identified by TWAS, to enable them to purchase the research facilities they need to enhance their productivity.
The TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences aims to:
- Reinforce and promote scientific research in basic sciences in developing countries;
- Strengthen developing countries’ endogenous capacity in science;
- Reduce the exodus of scientific talents from the South;
- Build and sustain units of scientific excellence in S&TLC over a longer period to help them achieve a critical mass of highly qualified and innovative scientists capable of addressing real-life problems facing their countries.
- Individual applicants must be nationals of developing countries. They must hold a PhD, be at the beginning of their careers, but already have some research experience. They must hold a position at a university or research institution in one of the S&TLCs and be under 45 years of age.
- Applicant must at the time of application NOT have an active research grant with TWAS or OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship.
- Applications from women scientists and those working in Least Developed Countries are especially encouraged.
- You must submit a strong Research Proposal, you may find further information on how to wrtire a strong proposal by visiting AuthorAID.
- Individual scientists who submit a satisfactory final report on a previous grant may apply for a renewal.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one program per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programs. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programs may still apply for another program.
The Research Grants to individual scientists amount to a maximum of USD 15.000.
How to apply
The deadline for receiving applications is April 14, 2021. They strongly recommend that you do not wait until the deadline but submit the application as early as you can to enable them to process your application as quickly as possible.
For more information, please visit the official webpage.