Deadline: 30 September 2017
Open to: registered doctoral students
Benefits: paid internship
UNU-WIDER Ph.D. Internship Programme gives registered doctoral students an opportunity to utilize the resources and facilities at UNU-WIDER for their Ph.D. dissertation or thesis research, and to work with UNU-WIDER researchers in areas of mutual interest. Ph.D. interns typically spend 3 consecutive months at UNU-WIDER and are expected to return to their home institution afterward. During their time in Helsinki, Ph.D. interns prepare one or more research papers and present a seminar on their research findings.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a Ph.D. program and have shown ability to conduct research on developing economies;
- Candidates working in other social sciences may apply but should keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused Institute;
- Candidates should be fluent in oral and written English and possess good quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills;
- Preference is given to applicants who are living or working in developing countries and who are at later stages of the PhD.
- UNU-WIDER provides a travel grant to cover the costs of travel to and from the location of your PhD granting institution;
- Medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness and accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER);
- A monthly stipend of EUR 1,600 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the period of their internship;
- The program does not cover expenses related to dependents;
- Ph.D. interns may also have the opportunity to publish their research in the WIDER Working Paper Series.
How to apply?
UNU-WIDER only receives online applications for the PhD Internship Programme twice each year. When applying in September, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period February-June of the following year and when applying in March, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period August-November of the same year.
Selected applicants will be informed by email of the final decision within four weeks of the closing deadline. The selected applicants must confirm their decision to take up UNU-WIDER’s offer two weeks after being contacted.
If you are interested in participating in this program you should complete and submit the application form.
As part of your application, you will be asked to upload your curriculum vitae. Your Ph.D. supervisor will need to provide UNU-WIDER with a letter of reference, which should be emailed (by your supervisor) to the following address: email@example.com. The reference letter will also be used to certify that you are enrolled in a Ph.D. program at your university.
Please note UNU-WIDER do not receive applications by email or post.
For more information please visit the official website.