Deadline: 22 September 2017
Open to: journalists
Benefits: roundtrip travel, lodging, meals and expenses directly related to participation
The Dart Center Ochberg Fellowship is a unique seminar program for veteran and mid-career journalists who wish to deepen their knowledge of emotional trauma and psychological injury and improve reporting on violence, conflict, and tragedy.
Fellows attend an intensive weeklong program of seminars held at Columbia University in New York City. Program activities include briefings by prominent interdisciplinary experts in the trauma and mental health fields; conversations with journalist colleagues on issues of ethics, craft and practice, and a variety of other opportunities for intellectual engagement and peer learning.
- The Ochberg Fellowships are open to outstanding journalists (with at least five years experience) working across all media;
- Past Fellows have ranged from small-town and regional general-assignment and crime reporters to war photographers and foreign correspondents for international news organizations;
- Applicants’ work must demonstrate journalistic excellence and a strong track record of covering violence and its impact on individuals, families or communities;
- Fellowships are open to print, broadcast and digital reporters, photographers, editors and producers with at least five years of professional journalism experience are eligible to apply;
- Approximately half of the Fellows will be based in North America, with the balance drawn from Central and South America, Europe, the Asia Pacific region, Africa and the Middle East;
- All fellowship seminars are conducted in English;
- Fellows must be fluent in spoken English to participate in the program.
- The Ochberg Fellowship covers roundtrip travel, lodging, meals and expenses directly related to participation;
- The program does not cover travel or health insurance, additional nights of lodging beyond the Fellowship’s duration or ground transportation in fellows’ home cities.
How to apply?
Interested candidates can apply for the internship via the online application.
The deadline for applications is 22 September 2017.
For more information please visit the official website.