Deadline: 19 February 2016
Open to: professionals in any field who wish to cover their specialty as reporters for media around the world
Fellowship: CAD 10,000 (USD 7,490)
The University of Toronto’s Munk School of Global Affairs invites specialists who have a graduate or professional degree or a few years’ work experience to apply for a Fellowship in Global Journalism. Fellowship will happen in Canada and fellows will spend September 2016 to April 2017 reporting on their own discipline for major media while being mentored by leading journalists.
Curriculum topics include investigative journalism, writing, freelance tradecraft, deep interviewing skills, performance and global dynamics. Fellows will also participate in a one-month bootcamp during which they will learn the fundamentals of journalism.
They are recruiting 20 Fellows from around the world—and are seeking something different than conventional journalism programs:
- The relevant graduate degree, professional degree or work experience to report knowledgeably on any specialty. If in doubt, please send us your application anyway;
- Prior experience as a journalist is NOT necessary, but some specific qualities are: Read qualifications to understand the kind of personality they are seeking;
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
The fellowship will cover CAD 10,000 (USD 7,490) of CAD 26,000 (USD 19,476) tuition. Fellows will continue to receive free coaching for two years after the program through monthly online bureau meetings.
How to apply?
- Before applying please send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “lastname, firstinitial prepping application”;
- You will need to submit the following documents:
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae;
- Official Academic Transcripts and/or Professional Designation. (PDF scan);
- Two Story Proposals;
- One Fully-Reported Story, with visual treatment;
- Additional Communications Examples;
- Personal Essay;
- Video Statement;
- Statement of Integrity.
- Three letters of recommendation are required, from referees who are familiar with your academic and/or professional work.
- Please have your referees e-mail their letters directly at email@example.com, using the subject line “candidate’s lastname, candidate’s first initial—reference”.
Deadline for applying is 19 February 2016.
For more information please visit the official website.