Deadline: 19 June 2015
Open to: international (doctoral) students
Scholarship: 35.000 – 40.000 EUR per year (research positions) depending on work experience, qualification scholarship 9.600 EUR for one year
The Research Training Group (RTG) on Lorentz Force Velocimetry and Lorentz Force Eddy Current Testing at Ilmenau University of Technology is offering 12 full-time research positions and 1 qualification scholarship for doctoral students. The research positions have a duration of three years and the qualification scholarship has a duration of one year starting in January 2016. Since 2004 scientists and engineers at Ilmenau University of Technology have been at the forefront of the development of two novel techniques, termed Lorentz force velocimetry and Lorentz force eddy current testing, which promise to meet these challenges. It is planned to use the results of the research in collaboration with industry for the development of industrial prototypes which can be commercialised outside the RTG.
The educational programme is characterised by three unique aspects:
- The graduate students will acquire specialised knowledge in the field of computational engineering;
- They will be involved in project-specific international collaboration;
- The graduate students will be encouraged to work in close contact with industry. By virtue of colloquia, an extensive visiting-scientist programme, brainstorming-meetings and a regular monitoring, the time to complete a PhD should be shortened to three years.
Successful candidates for the research positions should have:
- Excellent Diploma or Master degree, preferably in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, physics, or mathematics;
- Excellent knowledge of the English language;
- High motivation for interdisciplinary work in an international scientific team, and the commitment to complete the doctoral program within three years.
The research positions are paid according to scale of the German public sector (35.000 – 40.000 € per year before tax depending on work experience). The qualification scholarship offers a tax-free grant of 9.600 € (plus an allowance of 4.800 € for the first child, plus an allowance of 1.200 € for each further child). After having successfully passed the qualification phase, the scholar is invited to apply for a three-year research position.
How to apply?
The university invites all applicants to e-mail the complete set of documents in PDF format by 19 June 2015 to email@example.com mentioning desired position, research area (project number), and reference number 11/2015. If you wish to apply for an open position, please send the complete set of documents in pdf-format:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- The scanned certificate of your highest academic qualification;
- Description of current research;
- Publication/conference participation list, if available;
- Letters of reference, if available;
- Please write two or three sentences describing your plans for the future. Where do you see your academic or business career in 5 or in 10 years;
- Also, you are welcome to send the abstract of your diploma/master thesis or of your PhD thesis;
- Please remember to mention which particular project area/project number is of interest to you (and why);
- In case you are not sure how to efficiently structure your CV, you might find it helpful to go to:
For more information please visit the official website.