Deadline: 31 March, 2015
Open to: Applicants must be nationals of an ICGEB Member State. Nationals of India and South Africa, ICGEB Host Countries, are not eligible to apply for ICGEB Fellowships in their home country.
Fellowship: monthly stipend, plus visa, travel, tuition fee and health insurance costs
The Arturo Falaschi ICGEB Fellowships programme offers long and short-term fellowships for scientists who are nationals of ICGEB Member States to perform research in Trieste, New Delhi or Cape Town. International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB) offers competitive Pre-doctoral Fellowships in Life Sciences to highly motivated scientists wishing to pursue PhD research studies in a world-class scientific environment. Fellowships include participation in a competitive research programme, access to state-of-the-art facilities, participation in ICGEB Meetings, Seminars and Journal Clubs and a competitive stipend, plus full coverage of tuition fees and health insurance.
- Applicants must be nationals of an ICGEB Member State*. Nationals of India and South Africa, ICGEB Host Countries, are not eligible to apply for ICGEB Fellowships in their home country;
- Degree requirements: applicants for ICGEB Trieste and Cape Town should hold a BSc (Honours) degree; applicants for ICGEB New Delhi should hold a MSc degree;
- Candidates must have a good working knowledge of the English language, supported by a proficiency certificate (TOEFL, Cambridge Certificate, or equivalent). Not required when scholastic education has been undertaken in English;
- Candidates for Trieste, Italy must be below the age of 32 years at the time of application (i.e. date of birth after 31/03/1983). There is no age limit for applications for ICGEB New Delhi and Cape Town.
ICGEB Member State countries: Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Ecuador, Egypt, Eritrea, Macedonia, Hungary, India, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Libya, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Montenegro, Morocco, Namibia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Republic of Tanzania, Uruguay, Venezuela and Vietnam) are eligible to apply for the fellowships.
- Monthly stipend: Trieste (Italy): Euro 1,300, New Delhi (India): US$ 1,020, Cape Town (South Africa): ZAR 10,000;
- Travel: the fellowship includes provision for travel expenses from the student’s home country to the ICGEB lab at the beginning of the fellowship and a return travel provision upon completion of the fellowship;
- Medical health insurance coverage is provided for the duration of the fellowship;
- University tuition fee is covered for the entire PhD registration period;
- Visa/permit of stay application and renewal costs are reimbursed;
- Support for participation in Meetings and Courses is generally provided by the Group Leader / PI;
- ICGEB makes no financial provision, nor can it provide administrative support for family members of participants in the programme.
Fellowships are awarded up to 3 (three) years with the possibility of 1-year extension.
ICGEB Trieste: A housing service is run through the Welcome Office – Friuli Venezia Giulia. More info
ICGEB New Delhi: A Guest House is run on campus, on a twin-share basis, for a nominal rate
ICGEB Cape Town: Accommodation is available on campus. Conditions are negotiated with the University of Cape Town
How to Apply?
Please complete the application online. You will need to upload in PDF the following files:
- motivation letter;
- ICGEB GL/PI acceptance (written statement from the ICGEB Group Leader/PI you have contacted and who is willing to support the project and provide laboratory space);
- Proposed research project ( including investigation topic/area, problem/hypothesis to be tested, methods/techniques to be used in the investigation, details of the applicant’s previous work in the proposed field (if applicable), indication on how this links with current projects in the hosting laboratory);
- English language proficiency certificate (such as TOEFL, Cambridge Certificate or equivalent);
- 2 Letters of Recommendation;
- Diploma certificate;
- Photocopy of passport.
The application deadline is 31 March, 2015.
For more information please visit the official website.