Deadline: 9 March 2015
Open to: participants between 18-35 years old linked to an organization or network
Venue: 13-20 June 2015 in Tarrytown, New York
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) in collaboration with Education First (EF) are organising the second UNAOC-EF Summer School, taking place in Tarrytown, New York, from 13 to 20 June 2015. This week-long summer school brings together 75 youth from across the globe to address pressing global challenges within the context of cultural and religious diversity.
The objectives of the UNAOC-EF Summer School are to:
- Facilitate moments of encounter, exchange and skill-building between young people;
- Strengthen young people’s capacity to get involved in the preparation and implementation of joint action across divides;
- Support youth in maximizing their impact as they bring about social change;
- Promote long-term collaborative relationships between people from diverse backgrounds;
- Develop a network of alumni and make it a true platform for joint action to help address global challenges.
One highlight of this year’s Summer School will be a visit to the United Nations headquarters in New York City. Participants will have the opportunity to explore the UN space, how it operates and addresses issues such as disarmament, peace and security.
In order to be eligible you must meet the following criteria:
- be between the ages of 18 and 35 years old on 13 June 2015 — the start of the UNAOC – EF Summer School;
- be linked to an organization or a network (e.g. youth council, youth NGO, non-profit organization, youth-led organization, community organization, faith-based organization, youth network or platform, college, university, social entrepreneur, blogger, etc.);
- hold a passport valid until at least January 2016 (for a visa to be issued, a passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of entry into the country);
- possess upper-intermediate English proficiency.
The selected participants will be provided with the following:
- international travel to and from the international airport closest to their residence;
- cost of USA visa processing (if applicable);
- shared accommodation (triple or quadruple rooms with participants of the same gender) while in Tarrytown;
- meals during the official portions of the Summer School;
- full event access during the entire week of the Summer School;
- shuttles from and to the airport in New York City;
- the cost of US and transit visas (if applicable);
- the cost of vaccinations required to enter the US (if applicable);
- international travel insurance while traveling from their residence to the Tarrytown campus until their return home from the program.
Interested candidates must apply online HERE. The selection of the 75 participants will be based on responses to essay questions regarding motivation, as well as past and future involvement in issues to be tackled during the Summer School.
The deadline to apply is 9 March 2015.
For further information please contact: info@UNAOCEFSummerSchool.org.